LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Search Paths: include a RELATIVE path to the parent of topvi

As you stated the example, LabVIEW does not have problem to locate the subVI if you change the blah directory.
The path to subVI bar.vi is stored as something equivalent to ..\..\lib\bar.vi in the caller foo.vi. Since the relative path of VIs didn't change, the subVI is located directly without having to rely on Search Paths.

LabVIEW will need the search paths only if your coworker uses a different directory architecture that breaks the relative paths, something like locating the VIs as c:\bleh\app\foo.vi and c:\bleh\mylib\bar.vi. Then c:\bleh\* (or c:\bleh\mylib) has to be in the Search Paths for bar.vi to be searched ans located. However, this search path can't be specified as a relative path in the list. Anyway, a relative search path like \..\* would be relative to what?

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(811 Views)
Well, what I was looking to do was \..\*, which seems like it'd pretty clearly defined.

But your revelation about the relative paths gels perfectly with the behavior I've seen, now that I think about it, and should be a fine way to solve this problem. I'll let you know if I encounter any difficulty, and many thanks for your help,

Mark
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(806 Views)