LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Properties dialog is slow

@Yi Y wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to gather more information regarding the system configuration of everybody here who's experiencing this problem.  I would appreciate it if everybody could please post your system information file, Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information, and then go to File->Save to save the .nfo file.
Thanks!

Yi Y.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support

It may be related or not but one reason for the VI Properties dialog to open slowly for me has been since many LabVIEW version when I happened to have a network printer installed in my system but was not connected to that network where that printer was on. It seems that LabVIEW enumerates the printers on opening the VI properties dialog and Windows somehow only returned from that enumeration after timing out on those printers. This did however disappear with Windows XP for me so I assumed that Windows XP printer enumeration has somehow overcome this for currently unavailable printers possibly by caching the information about availabilty of printers.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(1,636 Views)
Hi Tim,

Thanks for doing that research.  I would be eager to know if you experience the same behavior in LabVIEW 8.5.1 (or any other versions besites LV 7.1.1 for that matter).

I tested on a half a dozen different PC/laptop models here and wasn't able to reproduce the problem.  I'm not giving up yet, however 😉 .
Eric V
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer

"I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a helluva (NI Applications) Engineer!"
Message 12 of 21
(1,599 Views)
I think you may be on to something, Rolf.  A few months ago my VI properties delay mysteriously disappeared "on it's own", and I didn't notice right away, so I can't for sure draw a causal connection.  The mystery was that I thought I had changed absolutely nothing in my system.  But your suggestion jogged my memory:  I did indeed add a new printer to my configuration and set it as default.  The previous default network printer no longer existed since I had unplugged this computer from it's domain many moons ago and was working with it on a different ad-hoc network.  The printer change may have fixed it.

--David Moerman
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(1,566 Views)
I can see delays exceeding 30+ seconds (to display the VI Properties dialog) when my current printer is a network printer that is unavailable.  If I change to an Adobe PDF "printer" (File:Page Setup:Printer Setup), the delay goes away.  Switching back to the network printer, causes the delay to return.  Perhaps this is not the only cause of the delay, but it appears to be at least one of them...
Message 14 of 21
(1,476 Views)

Noticed today with my LV 2009 SP1 how opening the VI properties would suddenly take more than 30 seconds. Couldn't find any obvious reason for this since it was working okey yesterday, but luckily found this old thread. I checked my printer settings and... Behold ! The default printer was not responding anymore. I deleted the printer and added another one -> no more delays - the VI properties is opening once more without delay. So this is just to confirm that non-responsive printer is causing this sort of delay.

Cerati

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(1,289 Views)

I have found that, for some reason, LV scans the printer list when VI properties are opened. If you have a network printer that it cannot find, it hangs for a while. Try removing all printers from the printer list. This fixed the problem on my PCs.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(1,274 Views)

Hi,

Unfortunately the problem still exists. I got this issue with LV11 on WinXPSP3. I do not have any printers installed. I made a test by installing a "to file" printer but nothing changed.

I have to wait for about a minute before I get the properties dialog, which is really irritating.

Best regards 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(1,151 Views)

I experienced this problem again recently, when our network was having problems. VI properties took forever to load. I too removed all network printers - no help. Then I disabled the network and Viola! Fixed. (I know, not a true fix, but a work around, till we can get the network issue(s) addressed).

Hope this helps.

TIm

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(1,139 Views)

linuxfreak wrote:

Unfortunately the problem still exists. I got this issue with LV11 on WinXPSP3....

I have to wait for about a minute before I get the properties dialog, which is really irritating.

From your attached system information, it seems that you are running on an old Athlon XP processor. This processor is not SSE2 capable and is no longer supported for the LabVIEW 2011 development system.

You can still build standalone applications for such old systems by disabling SSE2 in the build, but the development system itself does not support these CPUs (well, it seems to work, but way too slowly because everything is compiled in a form not suitable for your hardware).

The system requirements for LabVIEW 2011 clearly state "Pentium 4/M or equivalent", which, indirectly and in other words, means SSE2 support is required. I agree it could be made a bit more clear. (see also)

(It is time to upgrade your hardware. I still have one of these old computers in the lab and it is stuck with LabVIEW 2010.)

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(1,128 Views)

Unfortunately switching off the network did not help.

However I got LV11 as upgrade for LV10 that I bought, so I can install the older version.

Is there a way to select a group of VI's and save them for LV10, or I need to open and save them one by one? 

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,112 Views)