LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Analyzer - Easy Report Output

I'm using the VI Analyzer API to programatically to evaluate code.  I currently use the Easy Report functionality to write results to an ASCII file, but I would like the output as a string rather than a file. The API implementation requires that I write to a temporary file, read the temporary file into memory and then delete the temporary file.

Is there a simpler way to do this? If not, I would suggest that an optional output containing the ASCII or HTML text be added to VIan Easy Report.vi

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,187 Views)

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the post and I hope your well.

You are correct - there doesn't seemed ot be any control of not producing a file using Easy Report - I supose this by design mind you.

Could you not use the VIan Easy Analyze - which is a String output... maybe if you explain in a bit more detail what your trying to acheive I could help you to implement this?

Kind Regards,
James.

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,160 Views)

Within the VI Analyzer API, I am streaming the report contents to disk as they are generated.  It turns out this approach is much faster than building up the entire ASCII/HTML string in memory in LabVIEW, then dumping that string to a file in one I/O operation.  So if I were to provide a string output with the report contents, I'd be doing exactly what you already are...reading the entire file contents after the report is generated and outputing it to a string.

A true solution to your situation would be for me to add a new report "type" to the Easy Report VI...specifically, a "string only" type.  In this mode, I would ignore the path input to the VI, and simply output a string containing all the report contents, without doing any File I/O.  I'll file myself a suggestion on this...maybe we'll see it in a future version of the toolkit.

Thanks for the feedback...keep it coming.

-D

Message Edited by Darren on 12-03-2008 01:16 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,118 Views)