LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using usb to serial adaptor , how do I select this port from within labview

Hi

I am using a usb to rs232 adaptor , how can I select this port within labview as all I can see is the com 0, com 1, lpt ports .

Any help appreciated

Brett
Snr Mining Engineering Technician
Western Australian School of Mines
Curtin University of Technology,
Locked Bag 22, Kalgoorlie Western Australia 6430
Ph: 08 90886159 Fax: 08 9088 6151 Mobile: 0407441251
Web http://research.wasm.curtin.edu.au/
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,902 Views)
Hi ,
You will have to install the driver for the USB device then you will be seing these additional ports as com3.com4 etc so you will be able to use them as any other com port.
cheers
vicky
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,898 Views)
Hi Vicky

I was looking at an adapter at dick smiths and it didnt appear to have drivers, but upon checking with the store they tell me it does. This is a better way to go than pcmcia card with multiple serial ports.

Cheers

Brett
Snr Mining Engineering Technician
Western Australian School of Mines
Curtin University of Technology,
Locked Bag 22, Kalgoorlie Western Australia 6430
Ph: 08 90886159 Fax: 08 9088 6151 Mobile: 0407441251
Web http://research.wasm.curtin.edu.au/
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,896 Views)
Hi Brett,
yeah its easier tohandle and i think cheaper also,i found it easier to install also,so better go in for the USB stuff.
cheers
vicky
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,893 Views)

@vicky wrote:
Hi Brett,
yeah its easier tohandle and i think cheaper also,i found it easier to install also,so better go in for the USB stuff.
cheers
vicky

While the many USB adapters seem to be easier to handle, we have had some bad experiences. Their stability is not always up to the task for industrial applications. This might not be an issue when you only use them to control your RS-232 lab equipment for manual experiments, but in our case we have fully automated lab systems running, where LabVIEW controls sometimes up to 8 serial devices and those applications are supposed to run day and night, if possible for many days in a row without interruption. With many of those noname USB-RS232 adapters we noticed various kind of problems. It could range from intermittent communication errors (which could be handled by additional code in our software to retry communication on such errors) to complete failure of the RS-232 port after some time, which could only got back online by unplugging and replugging the USB adapter.

For our purpose this was completely unacceptable and we ended up using ENET-RS232 devices instead which are working fine for months in a row.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,873 Views)