From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using tilde(~)

Solved!
Go to solution

That picture is the contents of the VI.  I do a line feed just to see the error on the serial port monitor (Error - Unknown command:  '~.').  Again if I enter "~." in tera term the DUT exits the menu as expected.

No error on output of VISA write

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,554 Views)

Any chance you can provide a link to documentation for your device? What are you using for a serial port monitor?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,544 Views)

I'm just using a homemade cable(rx only) with tera term to monitor serial port activity.  i don't have documentation on the device.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,536 Views)
Serial devices don't have visible menus unless it's something like the vt100 as I mentioned. Why didn't you answer my question about that? If you do have such an interface, then the tilde may be an escape sequence and not the ascii character. TerraTerm has terminal emulation capability but VISA does not. Can you attach an image of the TerraTerm screen m
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,521 Views)

Dennis,

I attached a snippit of tera term.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,509 Views)
Well, that makes it pretty clear that the serial interface, is in fact a VT100 type. You'll need to find what the tilde means for that.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(1,501 Views)

Perhaps you could turn your setup around. Let LabVIEW (which won't do any translation) do the serial monitoring, and do the communication with TeraTerm. Send ~. from TeraTerm. Do a read in LabVIEW. See what bytes actually get sent.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,479 Views)

Dennis/Nathand,

Thank you for your feedback.  I've attached a snippit of me entering ~. on the serial port and reading it back in labview.  Labview appears to be reading back ~.

I'm also searching to see if ~ is interpreted as some other character in tera term but no luck so far.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,442 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike_RF
You need to be searching for VT100 references. There is a very long list of special escape characters that the interface supports and dedicated keys.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,431 Views)

Dennis and all,

Thank you.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,416 Views)