LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using same front panel graph for several VIs

I am currently implementing the UI of a program that will run a lab setup in several modes. Each mode have their own set of VIs, which I want to run from the same front panel, seperating the modes with a tab control. These VIs, while running, will save the data to files and also output the data in real-time in a graph. I want these individual graphs to be displayed in the same area of the front panel. Is there any way I can do this? If not, is there maybe a way to use a splitter on the tab control (I think this might be better) so that I can create individual graphs on the front panel for each of the operation modes?

Please let me know if anything is unclear. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,628 Views)

You can create the Graph display as a seperate sub VI and make it clone and in the FP have multiple sub panels. So call the Graph display sub VI as a clone dynamically and insert into the sub panel, so if you have 2 sub panels do the same twice.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,621 Views)

Thanks! I've started implementing the subpanels now, following this guide. I can't seem to pass any arguments into the VI when loading it this way. I want it to stand idle until I tell it start, and then I want the values set in a higher level VI to be passed into the sub VI as it normally would have.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,595 Views)
To pass data to a VI in a subpanel you can use VI server calls on a reference to the VI in the subpanel to programmatically write to controls on the VI's front panel. Note that these controls do not need to be visible or connected to the VI's terminal pane.

Alternately, you can use queues, notifiers, globals or events too.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,559 Views)
As i understand it, i would place 5 tabs, one each for the different settings, and a 5th with 4 graphs to show it. That way the settings dont use up real estate when running.
G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,531 Views)
Graphs on a tab control? The idea to to create something reliable! Check out the dozens of problems related to graphs and tab controls -- or even just tab controls.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,515 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:
Graphs on a tab control? The idea to to create something reliable! Check out the dozens of problems related to graphs and tab controls -- or even just tab controls.

Mike...

I made an array of clusters of grahs once, it took some tinkering to get working. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 7 of 7
(2,456 Views)