LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using .net container in XControl with LV8.6

Hi,

I'm developping an XControl whose facade is only composed of a .net control. 

If I use my XControl in a VI and I open this VI, everything is fine.

Now, if I use this VI as a SubVI and I open its front panel by double-clicking on the SubVI icon, the XControl is ok the first time but its display disappears the other times, leaving only the .net container without the .net object on the front panel.

At first, I thought it might be a bug with the .net assembly used, but I've been able to repeat the experience by doing the following:

1. Create a new XControl

2. In the Facade, add a .net container

3. Insert a ComboBox (included in the System.Windows.Form assembly)

4. Save the XControl

5. Add the XControl in a new VI, say VI_1

6. Create a new VI, save it as VI_2 and add VI_1 in VI_2

7. Double click on VI_1 icon in the VI_2 block diagram

->XControl appears as expected on VI_1 front panel

8. Close VI_1 and open it again by double clicking on its icon.

->The content of the .net container in the XControl doesn't appear in the front panel.

I search for similar bug in the forum but found nothing similar. I'm using Labview 8.6 with 3.5 sp1 .net framework. Anyone know what's happening?

Thank you in advance! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,329 Views)

John

I was unable to reproduce the issue by following the steps in LabVIEW 8.6.1. When I open VI_1 from the block diagram of VI_2 it opens the VI and displays the X control as expected every time. Could you please post your VI_1 and the XControl, so I can see if the problem follows the VI. 

Thank You

Hunter

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,285 Views)

I've just upgraded to LabView 8.6.1 and I still have the same problem. I joined to this post a folder containing the XControl, VI_1, VI_2 and two screenshots (one with the XControl properly displayed and the other following the procedure explained above). 

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,264 Views)

John 

I see the same bug behaviour with your code where the combo box in V1 will not show up the second time I open it from the Block diagram of V2, but I am not able to reproduce it. If we can reporuce this it will certainly be a CAR. I posted the code I generated with your reproduce steps, but it opens VI1 fine every time. Is there a step in your steps to reporduce that I am missing? Take a look at my code and see if there is something I am missing. In the mean time I will continue to try and reproduce it on my end.

Thanks

Hunter

Message Edited by Huter on 04-01-2009 06:26 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,247 Views)

Hunter,

I see where your code is different than mine. In fact the combo box I was talking about must be a .net control inserted in the .net container. So the step 3 of the procedure to reproduce the bug should be

3. Right-click on the .net container and select "Insert a .NET Control...". The "Select .NET control" window will popup. Choose the "System.Windows.Form" assembly. Under "Controls", a list of available controls should appear. Select the "ComboBox". Now the .NET container on the Front Panel should automatically be resized around the ComboBox and the ".NET Container" be renamed "ComboBox".

.NET Controls other than the ComboBox could also be used with the same result.

As you said, it will probably be a CAR if you can reproduce it on your side. 

Thank you very much,

John 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,228 Views)

John

Thank you for your help, I have reproduced the issue on this end and filed a CAR so our R&D team can work on a solution. Let me know if you need help with a work around.

This was reported to R&D (# 158150) for further investigation.

Thank You

Hunter

Message Edited by Huter on 04-03-2009 02:19 PM
Message Edited by Huter on 04-03-2009 02:20 PM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,203 Views)

Hunter,

This issue was more embarassing during the development phase and we are still looking to know how it can affect our final product. At first sight we should be ok. At least now we know where it comes from and are sure that it's not a problem with our configuration. I'll let you know if we feel that a work around is necessary.

Thanks a lot for your help!

John 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,162 Views)