From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using lan hub with cRio-9067

Hello.

I would like to know if anyone here ever tried to use an ethernet hub that contain multiple components to the ethernet port of the compact rio device.

The main problem im facing is that there are alot of ip adresses from the hub that will go into the cRio.

How I will be able to determine each of them?

When using alot of components, the data might have delays?

Thanks alot,

Udi. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,335 Views)

What do you mean by there are a lot of ip addresses from the hub that will go into the cRIO? Do you mean you are connecting a hub to a cRIO and a have a bunch of devices on that hub that the cRIO will be communicating with as well? Is the hub just connected to the cRIO or is it connected to a larger existing network and then also to the cRIO? I would expect you could encounter delays if the cRIO is trying to send information across the network through a busy hub. 

Eden K
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,263 Views)

Let's say that there are 5 cameras connected to the hub, each of them have a different ip. 

The hub has 1 port out of him, and this port is connected to the cRio. 

Is there a way to communicate with each camera? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,261 Views)

If you already knew the IP addresses I believe you could communicate with them, and potentially if they were cameras of ours you may be able to get their network information programmatically, but outside of that I'm unaware of a way to find the IP addresses of devices on the network connected to the cRIO. Generally the cRIO would be on a network with those other devices and a computer so you would be able to find the addresses from that other device.

Eden K
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,257 Views)

If I understand your setup correctly, you have a hub.  From this hub, you're connecting to a cRIO and N cameras.  You haven't said, but I'll assume these are IP cameras (could also be GigE or Smart Cameras).

All of the devices would need to be on the same network.  Setting the cRIO to DHCP or Link Local will allow it to pull and IP address from your hub/router/switch.  This puts it on the correct network.  With your camera, you'd have similar settings.  Once this is done, you'd find the cameras the same way you typically would in your application (either named by IP or device name).

Is this a correct understanding or do you have it setup otherwise?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,253 Views)

thats correct, but do i plug the ethernet cable of the hub (output) to the ethernet port on my crio-9067?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,204 Views)

That should allow the devices connected to the hub to communicate with each other. Just to be clear, are you using an actual hub? Or are you using a switch? Wondering since hubs aren't particularly common in networking anymore.

Eden K
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,194 Views)