LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using functional global variables to transfer data between touch screen device and other targets

Hi,

We are currently developing a control system that will operate on a cRIO with a touch screen interface. During development we have been using functional global variables (FGVs) to handle most of the settings/data etc, however we have just realised that we may have an issue updating the data on the touch screen, and vice versa.

Previously we have implemented similar programs using shared variables, however we were wondering if there is anyway to implement FGVs in a similar manner, whether it'd be a combination of FGVs and shared variables.

Regards,
Mike

Software version: Labview 8.2.1
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,536 Views)

See this thread on LAVA about sharing FGV's across projects. THis should be extendable to cross paltforms (I believe).

You also may want to concider an upgrade to LV 8.5.1. We have found a number of performance related issues with LV 8.2.1 and RT.

If you decide not to upgrade, just remeber what I wrote (above) when you have reason to question the performance.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,522 Views)
Thanks ben.

I'll check it out and consider the 8.5.1 upgrade.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,509 Views)

Sorry for reviving this ancient thread. The link above is pointing to http://forums.lavag.org/how-to-shared-a-FGV-between-2-LVprojs-t11036.html which doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Any ideas where I could read up on how to share a FGV between 2 projects?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,154 Views)

BP99,

It looks like this question was answered in this post: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Function-Globals-do-not-work-acrross-multiple-projects/m-p/2736211#M...

If you have any further questions, feel free to post on that forum and they can be addressed. You will likely have more success on the newer forum because this forum was marked as "solved" and is 6 years old.

Douglas Choisnet
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,133 Views)