LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using front panel indicators (specifically, pictures) created with New VI Object

Hi everyone,

I somehow got stuck with my following problem, although it seems to be fairly easy...

Maybe some of you can help me:

I have created several picture indicator objects on my front panel using VI scirpting and now I want to transfer image data to these indicators in order to show images in them, each image in another indicator. Since the indicators are only being created while the program is being run, I cannot just link the indicators to the data, so I thought I should use references, but that is where I got stuck.

Does anyone have an idea how to proceed?

I hope my information are sufficient...

Sincerely,

Steffen.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,194 Views)

Hi Steffen,

"value" property nodes should do what you want...

Why do you have to create indicators at runtime at all?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 6
(2,189 Views)

What about creating a vi that loads an image file into a picture? You can then call this vi with scripting, run it, make current values default, copy, paste to destination VI. All of that should be possible to do with scripting.

Charles Chickering
Architecture is art with rules.

...and the rules are more like guidelines
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,188 Views)

A VI can't create indicators on its own front panel, so I'm guessing that you're talking about loading pictures in the scripting VI as you're creating the indicators.  GerdW is correct that you can use "Value" Property Nodes, and you're correct about using references, just collect the references as you're creating the indicators or you can Traverse for GObjects to find them.

Here's a related blog post.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,180 Views)

Hi GerdW,

thanks for the hint with the "value" property nodes, it's what ultimately helped me solve my problem.

You don't happen to have an idea how to create a VI with 2D Pictures within a while loop? I have tried to do it similarly to the "Drop Add Function Inside While Loop.vi", but it did not work... The loop was just empty!

Have a nice weekend,

Steffen.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,151 Views)

Maybe this makes my intention clearer: I want the scripted VI to be automatically executed after being created and only stop after I hit a stop button...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,149 Views)