LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using feedback nodes

Hi folks

I'd like to hear your opinions about using feedback nodes.

- Do you use them in your code?

- Do you prefer them to shift registers? Why?

I don't really like them because in my view they make a program harder to understand and they contradict the LabVIEW "left-to-right"-principle.

I haven't found such a discussion here yet...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,192 Views)

This has been discussed somewhere on this forum.  Not sure where though.

Anyways, I use both.  Feedback nodes are great for when you don't have to pass data out of your loop and you only need the value in 1 spot.  This is usually a delay function (like comparing current value to previous value).

Now, as using them for FGV: I don't really care.  I tend to prefer the FB Node simply because I don't like dealing with a loop that only iterates once.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,188 Views)

Depending on the target, implementers are used to use different setups.

E.g. pipelining on FPGA is more often implemented with FB nodes while passing data from one iteration to the next one on windows and RT is more often implemented with SR's.

As a matter of fact:

For code performance, it does not make a difference. The LV compiler abstracts FB nodes and SR's to the same transform. So essentially, this discussion does only affect graphical representation of the code.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,183 Views)

I usually use feedback nodes if I don't need a loop or if the code is in a loop, but is localized (for instance, using the output of the tick count function to measure how much time each iteration took) or nested inside case structures.

You can see more here - http://labviewartisan.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-are-you-still-using-loops-in-your.html

(2,165 Views)