cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using bar code scanner

Solved!
Go to solution

Hai Experts

We have created an application for testing Horn board using LabVIEW, Almost our project is finished now the client have given us another task that the want to scan the sample number through barcode scanner and write that number in the report..They didnt give information about the type of scanner they're gonna use,i just want a sample vi for this.A single test takes nearly 2 to 3 mins ..

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(8,183 Views)

Hi sumithra,

Ask your client to specify model of scanner, now a days with USB scanner you don't have to program to get data.

It will enter/display value it scanned wherever your cursor is.

For example if you open Notepad, click on it, cursor will appear, scan barded , you will get value in Notepad.

If you want to have scanned value in control on front panel, you just have to use key focus property.

Another case is it will not be USB scanner.  Then you can find out how you can communicate with it using its manual.

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
Do not forget to Mark solution and to give Kudo if problem is solved.
Message 2 of 15
(8,180 Views)

I forgot to mention, you also need to see its mode.

Whether it is in continuous mode or scanning mode..Etc.I may be wrong with mode names but there are definitely few modes with scanner.

I hope this information will help you a bit.

Best of luck Smiley Wink

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(8,179 Views)

Thanks Gak.. let me follow  you after contacting them..

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(8,173 Views)

Hai Gaurav

I Suggested them to buy usb type of scanner  and they are suggesting this scanner

http://www.3sindustries.com/barcode-printers-scanners.php?product=as8250.. please verify this and reply me

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(8,114 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sumithra_Nagappan

Hi Sumithra,

If you read its technical Specification, Interfaces are Keyboard, RS232 , USB Interface.

So I think you can directly get scanned value as I mentioned.

When you will buy this, you will get user manual, In that there will be barcodes for different modes.

BUT, When I googled about the scanner, I got user manual which says it has RS232 connector, and you will have to send command to receive data from scanner.

Please go through this link. And attachment. You can ask dealer from where you are going to buy this scanner for confirmation about interface.

http://www.argox.com/content.php?sno=0000081&P_ID=37 (Specifications and downloads)

If I get more information then I will let you know. Smiley Happy

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(8,110 Views)

Thanks Mr.Gaurav..Shall i ask them to order the same scanner??

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(8,103 Views)
In the specification they have given
Programming method-Manual (reading special barcode) DOS command through RS-232, Windows configuration program, i Cant understand this ...Are you sure that AS-8250 Long range is of the same type as you said and can be easily programmed?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(8,101 Views)

I think you missed one line in my previous post. You can call dealer and ask him about Interface.

Also I read that specification says "Programming method-Manual (reading special barcode) DOS command through RS-232, Windows configuration program"

From manual you will be able to set its mode , serial communication parameter. For communication, It will be like sending command to ask scanner to scan, and the receive data.

P.S.. Do not buy this because I say so. Enquire properly about its communication interface.

Mean while check this option. This one is USB scanner. You may find more options if you search on google.

I will tell you one more option tomorrow. I do not have model number with me right now.

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(8,084 Views)

Many Scanners = keyboard, if so it's quite easy to implement. 😉

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(8,070 Views)