LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a wiimote with LabVIEW

I have seen that occasionally too under XP. It seems that the wiimote does not persist between reboots. To fix it:

1) Open bluetooth devices
2) Delete Nintendo controller from list
3) Re-scan for Nintendo controller

Hope this helps,

JohannS

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 220
(11,138 Views)
Hey Everybody,

I was having problems with the MS Bluetooth Stack and my bluetooth dongle so I ended using Bluesoleil for the bluetooth stack and the .NET wiimote drivers found here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/coding4fun/archive/2007/03/14/1879033.aspx

It works pretty good in polling mode but I can't figure out how to get it to work using the Event Handler.  I just wanted to throw this option out there to other people have MS Bluetooth stack problems. 

Also maybe somebody with good LabView .NET experince can get the event handler to work and show me how it's done.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 220
(11,080 Views)
I've attached some of the block diagrams i tried for getting the .NET events to work...
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 220
(11,066 Views)
Hello,

Has someone managed to get the position of the wiimote through the accelerometer values ?

I am trying to developp a drum set with labview. For the moment I detect the right moment to play a drum sound (a wave, not a generated waveform of my own) by catching a fast change in acceleration of axis Z from a negative to a positive value.

Now I want to play different sounds. I add it to the crossbar but it isn't very realistic. The best would be to know if the wiimote "hit" a drum on the right or on the left. I think this could be done with the IR sensor, but I want to do it with accelerations.

Is there anybody who developped a positionning with acceleration VI ?

Maybe I could send my drum set VI... but I need to make it less ugly first 😄

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 220
(10,799 Views)
It is not entirely feasible to obtain the position of the wiimote using the acceleration data. You could calculate a rough position using a double integration. This rough position is not stable and will drift as a result of the error in the acceleration values. Most applications (ie games) use the IR sensor to determine an accurate position. I would recommend the following setup for your drum-kit.

Use both the wiimote and the attached nunchuk.
Use the IR sensor on the wiimote to point at a picture of a drumset on the monitor.
Use the accelerometer on the nunchuck to bang the drum.

Just my $0.02

JohannS
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 220
(10,782 Views)
I think I will just use axis Z (what I am doing now) and X to simulate a second drum.
It would be easier than trying to locate the wiimote, but a little less realistic.
Someone already made it but not with labview : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8CU1I_8un0

Another way would be not to use the wiimote to detect acceleration sign changes but instead using two IR leds on top of sticks and doing motion capture with de wiimote standing in front of me.

In any case thank you for your VIs they are very well done !

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 220
(10,773 Views)

Did anyone solve the -1 error in 'Wiimote Set Output Report.vi' under LabView 8.0 or LabView 7.1?

Guy

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 220
(10,690 Views)
Just like to ask if anyone has any luck making the wii controller interact with Lego NXT directly, without a third party eg: laptop.
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 220
(10,581 Views)
Hi Kenneth,

It looks like you're not the only one curious. They talk about it in this blog. You might want to post your questions on the Lego Mindstorms forum.
Regards,

Hillary E
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 220
(10,545 Views)
I've posted an alternative LabVIEW - Wiimote interface here: http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-1353.
Sam Shearman
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 220
(10,471 Views)