LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Plugin architecture and protecting the code

Hi

I've just started to learn about the LabVIEW Plug-in architecture.

I'm working at the company who is using applications by trained operators on the field, but it's easy for someone else to copy it to the flash drive and use for his own use, so we and protecting our executables by some software protection systems.

It seems like the plugins that are read by the main application during the run-time are the labview classes or the libraries that can be easly copied, opened or stolen by someone.

Is there a good way to protect those plugins from being copied or used by someone else?

Or is there a way to save them as a binary data with some encryption key and load during runtime not as path? Which way is the best to protect the code?

Thanks for reponse.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,661 Views)

I've never used the toolkit myself but I've seen BLT for LabVIEW at the past few NIWeeks. I sat around of a few demos and talked to one of the guys at Studio Bods and it seemed really cool.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/211731

What exactly are you trying to protect though? Do you just care about people getting to the code on the block diagram or is it that you license these plugins separately and someone could just copy the files from one computer to another and wouldn't really have to pay for the plugin on the second computer?

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,641 Views)

Hi

Thanks for the response, this seems like the good tool, but if there is something that's free it'll be much better. Right now we are using free software protection software- PC Guard. Free version allows you to use the specific executable on specific machine for 5 days, after this time you won't be able to run it.

My company is not selling any software, it's selling the service. The software is being used on the field by people that are contractors and it's not in their best interest to protect it. We need to protect the code our way. And the plugin architecture - as I see it after a day of study - is exposing the code for anyone to open or copy.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,583 Views)