cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PCI DAQ device virtually

Solved!
Go to solution

Since DAQmx doesn't support RDA - I'd like some guidance for the following:

I have LabView Version 7.1 running virtually on XP in a Windows 7 environment running VirtualBox. I have LabView 2013 running natively in Windows 7 and I have DAQmx serving COM1, COM2 and GPIB for use by the virtal LabView 7.1. That works perfectly.

However, I would also like to share my DAQ PCI card from the Windows 7 DAQmx with the virtual XP/LabView 7.1. I had hoped to do that with RDA - but that's not supported by DAQmx. What is my PCI DAQ communication alternative to RDA that witll work with both LabView 2013 and LabView 7.1?

Bickley Consulting West.Inc.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,389 Views)
I would suggest tcp/ip. Other options such as shared variables are not available in 7.1. Do you just want to make readings available in the other app or do you want to be able to change settings such as channels, sample rate, etc.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,387 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lbickley

I'd like to have full control so I could run legacy applications without modification. (That works for COMx and GPIBx).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,375 Views)
Are your legacy applications using traditional DAQ? That's obsolete and its not supported on Windows 7 64 bit. There's no version of DAQmx that is supported by both LabVIEW 7 and 2013. I would suggest you update the version 7 files to 2013.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,373 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lbickley

Are your legacy applications using traditional DAQ? Yes;

That's obsolete and its not supported on Windows 7 64 bit. I'm running 32 bit Windows 7. But AFAIK, that won't make a difference...

There's no version of DAQmx that is supported by both LabVIEW 7 and 2013. I would suggest you update the version 7 files to 2013.

That's what I was trying to avoid. Looks like we will have to do some app upgrading...

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,364 Views)