From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Multiple Calibration Grid Images

Hi Can anyone explain how to calibrate a field of view with multiple calibration grids. I was looking at this resource but it does not detail the steps

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372916L-01/nivisionconcepts/spatial_calibration_concepts/

I am working on a laser scanning algorithm and want to calibrate the ground plane on which the grids are placed. I have tried the calibration in Vision Assistant but the results are coming out wrong. Can anyone let me know of a good source for information on this

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,945 Views)

Hello Vishwarath1990,

I have a couple of comments/observations:

1-Have you consider using a bigger grid instead of three? I ask you this because the algorithm would be more complex and you could get similar results with a bigger grid.

2-The grids does not seem very well aligned on the image. Check the following screenshot:

Screenshot_1.jpg

This could mess up the calibration data.

3-What version of the Vision Development Module are you using? Are you using LabVIEW as well? is it 32-bit or 64-bit? The 3D calibration process is very intensive and using a 64-bit environment could be recommended. 

4-What is the purpose of doing the perspective calibration? Are you going to be doing measurements on an object?

I will investigate about how to use multiple calibration girds in one single image, I honestly have not use multiple grids at the same time except for Stereo Vision. 

Regards, 

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,862 Views)

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the information. Yes, I am using LabVIEW-32 bit version and the module is NI-Vision 2015. A bigger grid does sound like a good idea. I got the current default grid out of NI vision folder, is there a location for the bigger grid you are talking about?

If we align the grids properly on the base plane would that solve the problem without a bigger one?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,846 Views)

Hello Vishwarath1990,

I am glad that the information was useful for you. I do not believe we have a bigger grid in the NI's folder, however you can create your own grid while it cmplies with this requirements: 

What are the Requirements for an NI Vision Calibration Grid?: 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/815CFD0DACE4AFB08625770F004EE84E 

For what I have read so far I believe that the way to apply the algorithm to multiple calibration grids is to apply the calibration multiple time (one by each grid). However I will confirm that for you. 

Regards,

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,816 Views)