From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using LabVIEW with MSP430 LaunchPad?

Solved!
Go to solution

I was introduced to LabVIEW this year in my senior only high school class EDD(Engineering Design and Development). This year our class decided to compete in the First Tech Challenge for the first time. I'm very good with computers, so I took on the task of being the only programmer. We did very good for our first year, placing 7th out of 35 teams. (Mainly because the autonomous I made in LabVIEW on the bus ride to the competition) I fell in love with LabVIEW mostly because the graphical NXT programming which speeds up the programming process significantly. I'm now hook on LabVIEW and want to do some of my own personal projects. I recently found the MSP430 LaunchPad which comes with both the MSP430G2211IPN14 and the MSP430G2231IPN14. I decided to purchase two of them along with one of their Capacitive Touch BoosterPack which also contains the MSP430G2452IN20. What I was wondering is it possible to both read data values from these microcontrollers and also program them in LabVIEW like the NXT?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(10,530 Views)

Congratulations for you and your team mates, and welcome to the LabVIEW community.  I too have a couple of the MSP430 "kits", but haven't had time to start playing with them. My recollection is that they communicate with the development PC via USB. If so there should be a USB communications dll they we may be able to access to communicate with the units. A quick google search on "MSP430 LabVIEW" returns a number of links.

Good luck, keep checking back, particularly as you have addtional questions. Others may be answering this as well.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 2 of 5
(10,526 Views)

I did Google using the MSP430 with LabVIEW and all that came up were the higher end chips which weren't compatible with the LaunchPad. Also most of them only explained how to read from the board and not how to program the chip.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(10,514 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author C_Coffie

Although I've never seen this device, a little bit of searching on our website came up with this http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/11977 resource on programming that microprocessor in LabVIEW. Hopefully that's helpful!!

Message 4 of 5
(10,494 Views)

Thank you for posting this link

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,604 Views)