LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using LabVIEW to display the overall maximum pixel value from the real-time video of a camera

Hello all,

I am currently using LabVIEW 2012 to display a live video feed from a Point Grey USB CMOS camera (FL3-U3-13S2M-CS). I used National Insturments Vision Acquisition Software to configure the CMOS camera as an NI-IMAQdx USB3 Vision Device. Everything is working fine and I can see my live video feed. Additionally, I can view the video feed from my camera in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) and change settings there. 

However, I would like to add something to my program. I would like to add a feature on the Front Panel that displays the maximum pixel value from the entire image. For example, since this is an 8-bit camera, if the feature reads "255", I will know my image is saturated and I should adjust the exposure time/gain (instead of just relying on my eyes).

I figure I will need to use a property node and say something like "CameraAttributes::ImageFormatControl::something..." but I haven't found anything to help my case on the internet. I have been using this link as a resource and have played around with different things to no avail. 

I am attaching a screen shot of 1) my program's initialization of the camera, and 2) property node for user-controlled settings.

Again, I'd like to reiterate that my code works. I'd just like to add an additional feature to display the maximum pixel value from the entire image. I am just unsure how or where to add this, if there is even an existing method.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,187 Views)

It appears that the website I tried to link in my previous post did not work. Here is the link again:

ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/imaq/camera_support/camera_files/digital/Baumer%20Optronic/Baumer%20Optroni...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,184 Views)

It's not a property node on the camera that you need. You need a function that gets the maximum from the image. Try this one:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370281P-01/imaqvision/imaq_histogram/

which will give you the max min mean and more. You can leave interval range unwired.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370281P-01/imaqvision/imaq_histogram/

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,149 Views)