From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using LabVIEW to communicate with Allen Bradley PLCs over ethernet

Does anyone have experience networking AB PLCs over ethernet?

I have multiple SLC 5/03 and MicroLogix 1500 PLCs. There is currently no proprietary network(DH+, etc.), but ethernet is already available at each PLC.

I am considering purchasing the ethernet interface adapters from AB 1761-NET-ENI, which as I understand would connect to the DF1 port and be capable of sending the serial info over ethernet.
My question is if LabVIEW DSC (using the IA OPC Server) will be able to access all of the registers. Also, will it be necessary to purchase the full version of RSLinx?

The system will be used for process interlocks as well as data acquisition. Is there a better way to accomplish this, which doesn't involve purchasing extensive hardware and software?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Beth
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,329 Views)
Take a look at the Kepware opc server program.

http://www.kepware.com/Products/products_OPCServers.html
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,323 Views)
Are you implying that LabVIEW is not capable of ethernet interface? It is listed in the IA OPC Server (which I already have, so would not need to buy anything), but I am just unsure if this is fully compatible with the hardware setup that I am looking at. i.e. using an AB interface module, but using LabVIEW instead of RSLinx to communicate. It seems like it should work, but I would like some feedback before I invest in the interface modules.
Also, kepware does not explicitly list the supported devices to include any SLC except SLC5/05 which is already ethernet-ready but not supported by LabVIEW.
Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,311 Views)
I am not certain about the SLC but I know that the micrologix 1500 via the 1761 ENI can be interfaced with LABView using an OPC server via DataSockets. If you are using RSLinx you will need the full version as RSLinx lite does not have an OPC server that you can use. I am using an INGEAR OPC server for Allen Bradley PLCs that allows me to connect to a local area network containing all of my devices. AE: Controllogix, micrologix 1500. You can also use the OPC Server via the DF1 driver to connect via serial directly to your PLC. In Labview 8 there is a sample program that will read the registers from your PLC via DataSocket and put that data into an array to be used. I'm not sure if you are really looking to do much HMI over the network or if you are just looking for a direct connection but be aware that if you attempt to control to much over the network. The serial connection to the ENI might slow you down or if you have too many connections or a "run away" message in your PLC program you may find yourself with alot of networking trouble due to traffic. As far as just connecting to the ENI via the network its fairly simple. You will need to find a program called ENIutility from allen bradley "rockwell software" and use it to configure TCP/IP (if thats the protocol you want to use). I guess in all the gibberish that I just spilled out I am really trying to say that what you are trying to do seems possible although I am not completely certain about the LabView version and I have not used that SLC model though if it has networking capabilities it should work. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,007 Views)