LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Domain Account Manager on a computer with the Runtime Engine only

I had an interesting use case today where the answer wasn't in the knowledge base, so I thought I should share.

I wanted to import a local domain using the Security Tools and Domain Account Manager on a machine the had the runtime engine but not LabVIEW intself. I wanted to do this to use different access levels depending on a user login and the group that they belong to. This is a control system computer, not a development computer. Another detail is that I use a custom runtime menu in my control system.

Normally you access the Domain Account Manager via Tools>Security.Domain Account Manager...

Then you can log in to the Domain and import a new domain.

In order gain access to the Domain Account Manager you simply need to build an EXE with the default LabVIEW menu. I made a while loop with an event structure and a stop button that fired the event structure and stopped the while loop. Run the EXE and you get a reduce menu, but you get Tools>Security>Domain Account Manger...

You can now log in and import the desired local domain.

Casey

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

casey.lamers@phoenixwi.com

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

Message 1 of 2
(2,793 Views)

Thanks for the info. I was curious about this myself as i was looking into using the DSC module and i wasn't sure how you manage access outside of developer computers.

Message 2 of 2
(2,776 Views)