LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Cluster as datatype for Dynamic User Events - Unbundle??

When I wire a cluster as a datatype to a dynamic user event, there's a problem. On the event structure, the unbundle only gives access to the individual elements of the cluster. You cannot access the "All Elements" option for the entire cluster.

Attached is an example. The top structure shows that I only have access to the individual elements. The bottom structure shows a common event where you can choose the top level cluster or the individual elements.

How can I gain access to the top level cluster for user events, just like you can for LabVIEW built-in events?

Regards,

Jack

Message Edited by mechelecengr on 06-03-2009 09:26 AM
Message 1 of 8
(3,016 Views)
A "subcluster" IN the cluster is the only solution I found...Not perfect...
Message 2 of 8
(3,005 Views)

Interesting.  I wonder if that is a bug or expected behavior.

I decided to put the cluster in another cluster.  There you get the cluster as an element.  And can access All Elements or an individual element of that cluster.

You could also, take all of the elements indivuidually and bundle them back together, if needed, inside the event.

EDIT:  Looks like krsone was thinking the same thing, but just a little faster.Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 06-03-2009 10:39 AM
Message 3 of 8
(2,999 Views)

Thank you both for your quick, descriptive responses. Both solutions - clustering the cluster and re-bundling inside the event structure - are solutions I have used in the past, but I consider both "hacks" to the root issue. Using a large datatype with events being triggered every 40msec, data manipulation becomes expensive.

Although viable workarounds exist, the fact that the event data must be manipulated in order to maintain the integrity of the cluster I think classifies this issue as a bug.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,969 Views)

I don't think this is a bug.

It's unwanted behaviour.  It's sub-optimal but I don't think it's a bug.

Try submitting to the new ideas exchange HERE.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,939 Views)
Double post.
Message Edited by Intaris on 06-04-2009 06:33 AM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,932 Views)

Intaris wrote:

I don't think this is a bug.

It's unwanted behaviour.  It's sub-optimal but I don't think it's a bug.

Try submitting to the new ideas exchange HERE.

Shane.

ditto that.

I think this has always been that way. I wrote it off as by design because the event wire from the reg node to the event structure acts like a type of cluster and LV's tightly coupled data sturure rules.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,926 Views)

Very unwanted behaviour. Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,352 Views)