LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Access vs. some form of SQL

Howdy!  My next project will consist of storing product test data onto a server.  Right now I'm looking up the pros and cons of using Microsoft Access vs something like MySQL or HeidiSQL.  This is my first time messing with a database like this, so I need any helpful input.  From what I've read, SQL is better for a large amount of data, which it eventually will be, but Access is better at setting up the ability to print out nice reports, which will be needed.

So please let me know which one you recommend, and why.  Thanks!!

Amateur programmer for over 10 years!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,831 Views)

Access is a 1 person at a time database.  Which means if you have it open, nobody else can get to the data.  This could be a serious issue (at least it became one with some applications I was involved in).  I would go with SQL.  You can make your own programs to do reporting if you really need to.  Or you could use DIAdem.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 3
(2,808 Views)

Whoa...I didn't know that about Access and, yes, that would be a problem.  Thanks for the info!!

Amateur programmer for over 10 years!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,804 Views)