LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UseUnicode=True suddenly stopped working in LV2012 SP1

I have been using the the LabVIEW.ini token "UseUnicode=True" for a few months now when developing LV executables (I have to unfortunately edit the .ini files for the exes after I compile them, but not the worst thing).  Unfortunately it has stopped working for me, and at a critical time.  Has anyone else had this issue and were you able to fix it without having to reinstall LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,826 Views)

It seems it is isolated to a particular VI.  Unfortunately it is a considerably large vi that I can't take time to rebuild from scratch, though I may have to  😞

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,808 Views)

Not to speak about the UseUnicode issue you are seeing, but in the build specification you can provide an INI file for the application to use and be built with.  If you make a INI that is the way you want it (with UseUnicode or any other settings) then provide it to the build specifications, you shouldn't need to edit anything after a build.

Also is the UseUnicode an official feature of LabVIEW?  Does NI anywhere state that this semi-hidden key is supported and its features?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,803 Views)

Unfortunately, I change the name of my executable ( I include version and build #s), so using my own .ini file doesn't work. The Section name then becomes incorrect and then I still have to modify the .ini file in the end anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,796 Views)

Very true sorry I forgot about using NI keys needing the EXE name.  Another alternative (again not addressing your Unicode issue) is you can run a Post-Build VI.  Again selected in the Build Specifications which you can make open and edit the INI file after each build.

Message 5 of 8
(2,791 Views)

It seems the UseUnicode token (at least) became supported in LV 2011 according to this knowledgbase:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8743246B3E9D64528625796500769BB8

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,787 Views)

I think I may have unfortunately used a recovered version of the vi, which is really good at corrupting vi files, and should be avoided if possible (from my experience with it, which has been since LV2009).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,784 Views)

@RazurBeam wrote:

It seems the UseUnicode token (at least) became supported in LV 2011 according to this knowledgbase:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8743246B3E9D64528625796500769BB8

I wouldn't call it supported. It's there since at least LabVIEW 8.2 or so but it is far from fully working nor officially supported by NI.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,769 Views)