From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of drive letters A:or B: break Labview activation.

Hi,

mapping  the drive letter A: or B: to extra hard disk volumes break the Labview activation.

In Activation FAQ is written:

Q: On What Is My Computer ID Based?
A: Your computer ID is based on the MAC address of your Ethernet adapter. In some cases, your computer ID is based on the disk volume serial number.

Ho can I force the license manager to use the serial number of the system volume C: ?  Not  the hard disk with the lowest letter.

Or deactive this check?

A working solution is to use the volume serial number of C: also for B: by sysinternals VolumeID.  But normally they should  be unique.

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,595 Views)
So do you have you A and B drives as hard disks? What difference does it make? I always assumed that the license manager used the ID of the disk where LabVIEW was installed.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,572 Views)

>So do you have you A and B drives as hard disks?

Yes, an extra partition of a large SSD for some VM's to exclude it from an image backup.

And also if I change the letter of a 2nd data disk to A:.

>What difference does it make?

A new Computer ID of license manager.Setting the volume serial number of C: also to B: keep the Computer ID.

> I always assumed that the license manager used the ID of the disk where LabVIEW was installed.

It  seams that it take the ID of the hard disk volume with the lowest letter.

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,558 Views)

It's not surprising that a drive mapped to "A:" or "B:" will break LabVIEW activation.  In fact, I'm surprised it doesn't break more things, including things unrelated to LabVIEW.  "A:" and "B:" are traditionally reserved for floppy disk drives and many Windows applications won't even consider "A:" or "B:" as a legitimate hard drive letter.  Ever wonder why the default system drive is "C:" and not "A:" or "B:"?  Now you know why.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,525 Views)