From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of LabVIEW Merge

Is there any use for using LabVIEW merge if your software team does not to parallel development? We are starting to setup Perforce for source control, and I was considering setting up LVMerge.exe to work with Perforce. However, since we have no parallel development, I don't see any point to this. Is there a reason that I'm overlooking to setup and use LVMerge when there is no parallel development?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,241 Views)

Hi zenthoef,

You can configure a third-party source code control provider to use LVMerge.exe as the default merge application.  Here is a link that will help you configure this!  Hope this helps!

Configuring Source Control with LVMerge.exe

Taylor G.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,217 Views)

Maybe I wasn't clear. I know how to configure it, but is there any need to configure it if we have no parallel development?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,215 Views)

Consider a single developer making multiple changes. Merge is just not for different users. I've had to do a quick patch to fix a bug in source while at the same time, do more extended edits on the same source for new release with additional features.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,212 Views)

@Dennis Knutson wrote:

Consider a single developer making multiple changes. Merge is just not for different users. I've had to do a quick patch to fix a bug in source while at the same time, do more extended edits on the same source for new release with additional features.

Now that I think about it, I was confused how a single user would use LVMerge, because I don't really understand some of the differences between the arguments LVMerge uses. What is the difference between the Base VI and Your VI? According to the LabVIEW help, the Base VI is "Absolute path to a copy of the VI from where you checked it out (Base VI)," and Your VI is "Absolute path to the VI you edited (Your VI)." Those seem like the same things to me. Isn't the VI I checked out the one that I am editing? Could someone clear that one up for me?

Also, I am confused about Their VI, which according to the LabVIEW help is, "Absolute path to a copy of the latest revision of the VI in source control (Their VI)." MY source control is on a server. Do I use the server absolute path, like \\SERVER\SourceControl\Project\VI.vi to tell LVMerge where to get that VI? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,208 Views)

Base VI = unmodified version of the VI when you last checked it out

Your VI = your modified version of the same VI

Their VI = current version of the same VI on the server

If you're the only developer, Their VI = Base VI (since nobody else changes the server version). But if there are multiple developers somebody might have committed the VI since you last checked it out from the server.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,204 Views)

Hi,

Kind of off-topic, but still dealing with LVMerge:

LVMerge launched with Auto-Merge turned On by default.  Is there any way to launch it with Auto-Merge turned Off by default?  It appears that if I unchecked Auto-Merge after LVMerge launches, LVMerge still can't find changes even after it re-merges.

Thanks,

Doug

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,133 Views)

Hi Doug,

I don’t see why you are having this problem.

Maybe you can take a look at this step by step to see if you are missing any detail.

Mr.O
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,096 Views)

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my application.  I'm using Subversion with TortoiseSVN.  I have TSVN set up to launch LVMerge when I'm editing conflicts.  The command line I'm using is:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Merge\LVMerge.exe %base %theirs %mine %merged

Everything works fine, except I'd like TSVN to launch LVMerge with Auto-resolve Off rather than On (the default).  Is there a command line switch I can add to the above command line to turn it off?

Thanks,

Doug

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,083 Views)

Hi Doug,

I'm not sure if there is a command or setting for that.  Maybe one of these documents can help?

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4114/en

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-2936

Best,

Jeff S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,053 Views)