From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use list of values as X Scale or marker in Graph/Waveform Chart

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey there,

I am quite new to LabView and haven't really found I was looking for so far. 

In other languages like Matlab you can use a 1D Array of Numbers as X Values e.g. [1.4, 1.55, 1.9, 12].

If you then want to plot your Y Data you can use this array of XValues and assign it to them in the plot like:

plot(XArray, YArray).

LabView offers me the Property XScale Minimum, Maximum, Increment which is not what I need because I do not have linearly spaced X Values. From what I found so far I could accomplish what I need by passing my 1D Array of XValues to the XScale Marker Val property, but I haven't quite understood how I can manage to display the xvalues this way to see them in the displayed graph. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

best,

Julian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,176 Views)

Hi Julian,

do you need a XYGraph? This one is designed to plot XY data!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,164 Views)

Hi Gerd,

lets put it that way: We plot XY data, but on most occasions we have multiple sets of XY data that have to be displayed simultaneously in one plot. To implement that I merged the signals and fed it into a Waveform Chart or a Waveform Graph, what worked nicely.

Using a merged signal it gave me an error using a XY Graph - I did not really understood why it did not work with a merged signal since it is XY data - Maybe you can resolve this or propose the most suitable plot type. 

best,

Julian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,152 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jschmidtengler

Hi Julian,

the help for the XYGraph shows the most recommended datatypes expected by the graph:

check.png

- Usually you create one plot as cluster of (X array, Y array).

- When you need more than one plot: create an array of plots!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 5
(3,142 Views)

Hi Gerd,

thanks very much for this advice! I made this work using the Build XY Graph function and an XY Graph.

I attached a picture of how I feed a merged signal into the Build XY Graph box. How do I accomplish what the Build XY Graph box makes using normal labview functions? 

edit: Just found the XY Graph.vi in the examples! That solves my problem entirely !

best,

Julian

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,137 Views)