LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use LabVIEW to open Windows Explorer to a certain directory?

@Jarrod_S. wrote:

I think that will open the folder in Internet Explorer or whichever browser is the system default. You can do the following to open it in Windows explorer using the System Exec command.

Edit: Okay, I was wrong, smercurio's method works great!

Message Edited by Jarrod S. on 04-28-2009 05:57 PM

I know this is an old thread, but thanks for this,

This code works when the path you are trying to open is a remote network location (not a mapped drive).  If you use "open URL in Default Browser" it will open in a web browser not exporer.  This forces it to open in exporer.  

Nice.  

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 24
(5,249 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

Use the Open URL in Default Browser (under Dialog & User Interface -> Help) and wire a path to it. Easy as pie. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 04-28-2009 05:39 PM

Note that in LV 2014 I'm finding that a path to a folder is causing Internet Explorer to appear pointing to the folder, not Explorer (Windows 7). I appreciate this thread is old, but perhaps the function of "Open URL in Default Browser" has changed behaviour since 2009.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 12 of 24
(5,165 Views)

sorry is that your means some thing like that vi that i attach ?

Message 13 of 24
(5,147 Views)

I have LV2014 and windows 7.  Open URL in Default Browser opens a file in an internet browser, not explorer.  The snippet that Jarrod S posted using the system exec vi will open a file in explorer.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 24
(5,127 Views)

The "Open URL in Default Browser.vi" doesn't work if your defalut browser is not IE.  For me it is Chrome and that is where it opens, not in Windows Explorer.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 24
(5,079 Views)

This is an old thread indeed but I am afraid the problem reappeared.

As soon as I migrated to Win10 System exec method stopped working for me.

To be more specific I have Labview 2015 32bit running under 64bit Win10 and System exec returns me ERROR=2

Possible reason(s):
LabVIEW:  Memory is full.
=========================
NI-488:  No Listeners on the GPIB.

Being typed directly to cmd window command cmd/c explorer.exe "C:\temp" works absolutelly ok.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 24
(4,211 Views)

Ok, found the answer by myself, for some reason windows10 does not look into the default Windows folder, so as someone above mentioned you need to specify explorer path by yourself.

So command cmd /c c:\windows\explorer.exe "c:\temp" works ok to me

Or if you do not want to return to this problem again I would advise to use environment variable for windows path instead of the direct address:

cmd /c %windir%\explorer.exe "c:\temp"

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 24
(4,198 Views)

I don't know when this function was introduced to LabVIEW (in using LabVIE 2018), but the Show in File System.vi seems to perform as expected.

Programming > File I/O > Advanced File Functions

Show in File System.viShow in File System.vi

Message 18 of 24
(3,604 Views)

There is a slight difference between the CMD line and the "Show In File System.vi":

• the CMD line will open the browser to the exact directory you feed in
  • the "Show In File System.vi" will show the parent folder instead, with the feed in directory/folder "selected/highlighted".

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 24
(3,559 Views)

Hi,

I have also a sulition. Please check it. Whit this I can open a folder.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 24
(3,279 Views)