LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use LabVIEW 8.x file layout

Hi there,

From the LV help:

Specifies to use a flat file layout to store source files inside a stand-alone application, shared library, or Web service. LabVIEW enables this option by default for build specifications you load from LabVIEW 8.6 or earlier. National Instruments recommends you disable this option for applications you develop in LabVIEW 2009 or later.

Why shouldn’t I use the LV8.6 way?
Or, why is the LV2009 or later method better?

Thanks in advance for any reaction!

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,332 Views)

Try to compile an application which uses LVOOP with inheritance+dynamic dispatch overrides....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,323 Views)

@Norbert_B wrote:

Try to compile an application which uses LVOOP with inheritance+dynamic dispatch overrides....

Norbert

Norbert - perhaps a less terse answer that actually contains some content might be a good idea. I'd like to know the answer...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,114 Views)

The 8.X format is a flat hierarchy.  So if you have OOP that uses dynamic dispatch, you will have multiple VIs with the same name.  Well, that will cause a file conflict in the 8.X format.  Same thing if you have multiple libraries that each have a VI in it with the same file name.

In the 2009 and later format, the format basically became a zip file (I am over simplifying here).  So you have an actual directory structure.  This avoids the conflicts mentioned earlier.  It also makes life a little easier if you are dynamically calling VIs using relative paths (it doesn't change, unlike the 8.x format).

So why use the 8.X format?  I think* it is a little faster to load.  Enough for you to care about?  Not likely.

*I have no actual proof of this.  This is a derived conclusion based on how the llb format works.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 6
(4,102 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

So why use the 8.X format?  I think* it is a little faster to load.  Enough for you to care about?  Not likely.

I "THINK" it is unlikely to be faster. The LLB archive format isn't exactly optimized for fast loading. And anyways it's a mute argument. If anything about runtime load performande is going to be improved, the modern format will get all attention and the LLB format will receive 0.0% attention. If in the process the LLB format might proof to cause problems it likely will get axed rather than improved.

So the decision is not so much about optimizing micro performance but about choosing an old legacy format versus the more modern and future proof format.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 5 of 6
(4,033 Views)

Okay yeah the OO reason is a good one, but let me make a more basic example that I think is also a common one.

Lets say I download some cool library from the tools network.  This library can do things like read and write .DOCX files (this is just an example).  This library contains VIs like "Open.vi" and "Close.vi".  Other libraries may also have "Open.vi" but they are part of a different library.  And in memory these names have the library appended.  So my VIs name in memory is actually "Cool Office Library.lvlib : : Open.vi".  This way LabVIEW can distinguish between the VIs that have the same name on disk, but are part of a different library.

Now it should be obvious that the "Open.vi" from one library cannot exist in the same directory as another "Open.vi" even if they are part of different libraries.  Windows simply doesn't allow you to have two files of the same name, in the same directory.

And this is where the file layout comes in.  In 8.x and older the layout was flat, putting all VIs needed for the EXE into a single directory.  This would mean attempting to put my office "Open.vi" in the same directory as all the other VIs.  In 2009 and newer this is handed by making an EXE that isn't a single directory, and instead it is layed out more or less like it is in Windows, where one "Open.vi" can exist in one directory, and another in another directory.  

So if you choose the 8.x layout, and you have multiple "Open.vi" files, it will place them outside of the EXE without any block diagram.  This gets messy because now you EXE isn't the only file you need, you also need the support directory some times called "Data".  In the 2009 and newer layout all the VIs can be in the EXE in a nested directory structure.  Generally just don't use the 8.x layout unless you need to, and really you should need to.  Having that not checked helps fix naming collisions.

Message 6 of 6
(3,998 Views)