cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use DAQCard 1200 with LabVIEW 2009

Solved!
Go to solution

Well, to be correct:

NI provides measurement devices for several decades now. It is philosophy, that there is not a driver for each single device, but a driver framework including the components for many devices. The driver for "basic" measurement devices is called NI-DAQ (most often also abbrevation for "Data AcQuisition").

Many years ago, NI found out that adding new driver components to the NI-DAQ was cumbersome and there were quite some inconsistencies in the framework. Therefore, it was decided to build a new NI-DAQ driver framework from scratch. Development from the new framework started, updates to the old ones has been provided in parallel.

The last version of NI-DAQ without "parallel" versions was NI-DAQ 6.9.3.

Once the new framework was "finished", it was published under the name "NI-DAQmx".

Since new hardware development was only added to NI-DAQmx from that point on, but support required updates to the "old framework" as well, there was a new NI-DAQ version derived from NI-DAQ which was called "traditional DAQ" (or TDAQ). The main difference between the original NI-DAQ and traditional DAQ is that traditional DAQ can be installed in parallel to NI-DAQmx whilst the NI-DAQ cannot. For this feature, some instruments like the DAQcard 1200 had to be removed from traditional DAQ.

Both NI-DAQmx and TDAQ were released in version 7.0 as the first version.

Nowadays, many years later, the most current versions of DAQmx is 9.6.x (and later, development goes on), while TDAQ is version 7.4.4. TDAQ is not updated anymore.

For simplification matter, previous NI-DAQ versions (6.9.3) are now also called "Traditional DAQ (Legacy)" nowadays.

Long answer short:

If you stick to the DAQcard 1200, you require NI-DAQ 6.9.3. This driver does not support any of the new features in DAQmx like the DAQ Assistant. Also note that 6.9.3 does support Windows OSes up to Windows XP and those in 32bits only. The driver will not run on 64bit OSes. Microsoft removed support for Windows XP in 2009, extended support ends in Q2 2014. So that device will only run on unsupported plattforms!

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 11 of 17
(597 Views)

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Norbert. Now I have installed the NI-DAQ 6.9.3. During the installation, it said that I have a newer version of MAX. Then I have to uninstall my labview 2009 and all NI software. After installing NI-DAQ 6.9.3, then only started to install the Labview 2009 but without installing the driver that came with the Labview 2009 (DVD 3), because it says that I have to uninstall my previous version (6.9.3) before installing this and since I have the NI-DAQ 6.9.3, so I ignored the 3rd DVD.

I tried to test my DAQCard 1200 with the MAX installed by NI-DAQ 6.9.3, it works. However, how can I communicate this DAQCard 1200 with my Labview?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(587 Views)

Hi ACTS,

in the "Measurement I/O" functions palette you should find a subfolder with TraditionalDAQ functions...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(584 Views)

The driver has to be installed AFTER LV was installed. But if you did follow this installation order, i am not sure if DAQ 6.9.3 does acknowledge LV 2009 as valid target for API installation.

So in the worst case, you have to install an older LV and the copy the API functions from the older LV version to LV 2009.

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(573 Views)

Hi GredW,

There is only "NI Scan Engine" and "MAX Configuration" under "Measurement I/O" functions palette. Are they the TraditionalDAQ functions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(560 Views)

Hi Norbert,

Previously I installed the driver before Labview. So I uninstalled everything and did it according to your instruction by installing Labview first before installing the driver. However, it is still the same. How do you know whether DAQ 6.9.3 does acknowledge LV 2009 as valid target for API installation? And how to copy the API functions from the older LV version to LV 2009?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(560 Views)

DAQ 6.9.3 was released 2002 and as far as i know never touched again. So essentially, NI does not provide any guarantee, that this driver works with up-to-date development environments (ADE).

I think that the installer of DAQ 6.9.3 is aware of NI LabVIEW installations up to version 8.x and integrates the API into LV if installed after the ADE. Your test indicates, that the installer of DAQ 6.9.3 does not "see" LV 2009+ when run on the system.

The readme from DAQ 6.9.3 does state LV 4 up to 6 as compatible version. As written above, i think it will integrate in lV up till 8.x, but i am not sure.

So when trying to get an API into LV, you have to either try to do a custom installation and select the API (possibly not working), or install an older version of LV, ideally 6.1.

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(540 Views)