LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading LabView 8.0 to 8.6?

I dusted off and installed my LabView 8.0 onto my computer.   It has been a while since I used it.

I attempted to open some VIs that were created in LabView 8.6, but cannot.

How do I update my Labview to version 8.6?

Thank you.

Chip

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,794 Views)

LabVIEW 8.6 will open LabVIEW 8.0 VI's just fine.

If you are having problems, you need to give some more details as to what error messages you are getting.

EDIT:  Rereading your message, I see you are actually asking the exact opposite of what your message subject says.

If you have a VI saved in LV 8.6, LV 8.0 won't be able to open.  You need to open it in LV8.6, then use the Save for Previous Version option under the file menu to save it as an 8.0 version.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,791 Views)

Thank you for your response. 

Is there an upgrade path to bring me up to version 8.6? 

Or am I too late in the game to be upgrading this early version of LabView?

Thanks again,

Chip

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,785 Views)

Talk to your local NI sales person.

I'm sure for a version that old, the upgrade path will be paying full price for the latest version.  You can download the evaluation version and try it out for a short period of time.  You could even use that to open the 8.6 files and save as previous back to 8.0.

Also, if you need files converted, hopefully you aren't talking about a ridiculous number, look at the top of the LabVIEW board where you'll find it says.

Need to have a VI converted? Please post to the Version Conversion board.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,775 Views)

Thanks again!

I will likely use the latest evaluation version and "save as" option.... excellent.

Chip

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,767 Views)

Checkout this link. It works great for working with older LV version of files. Smiley Happy

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-28200

Option to save as LV 8.0 or LV 8.6 can be selected !! Smiley Mad  ..

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,754 Views)

Thank you Hedon,  checking the link out.

I did convert the 8.6 files to 8.0 using an evaluation version of the current LabView.

Best Regards,

Chip

Message 7 of 9
(3,748 Views)

LabVIEW has come a long way since LabVIEW 8.6, and an even longer way since LabVIEW 8.0.  If you are contemplating any serious development in LabVIEW, particularly if there is money involved, you may well find that LabVIEW 2015 is a good investment, if nothing else for the improvements that have been made to simplifying and speeding the process of LabVIEW Development (meaning your time and effort), as well as improving the overall performance of LabVIEW (code) itself.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,733 Views)

Heck, let's not forget the LabVIEW Home Version for $50!!!  It's LV 2014 and includes the application builder, so you get a really sweet deal.  A couple of caveats:

You can only use it for personal use, and

It has a watermark to remind you (and everyone that might be using your VIs) that you can only use it for home use.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,720 Views)