LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating from Tag Engine to Shared Variables

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for your help.  I am updating a project that originally was developed in an earlier version of labview that used the Tag Engine.  I am manually going through the code and finding these links to the Tags and replacing them with shared variables.  I've run into a few issues and would love to have some feedback.

First one, the Tag Engine grouped tags by name, so for example, some tags were under R1, others under R2, etc.  The tag function had one that was called "Get Tag List" that functioned by making a list of the tags in a particular group.  I've tried to find an equivalent function for shared variables but have come up short.  First question, am I missing a shared variable function that is equivalent?

Second, in an effort to start this process, I created a few libraries of shared variables named R1, R2, etc. equivalent to the tag groups and dragged my shared variables from my original library into the new libraries.  Now, some of the shared variables that I dragged have an error.  It says the shared variable is "broken."  I'm not sure how to fix it.  I tried deleting the shared variable and dragging it back onto the vi, but that did nothing.

I'm sure there will be more questions, but these are my main ones now.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,540 Views)

Hi Matt, 

What version of LabVIEW was your project originally developed in? Also, where did you download or acquire the Tag Engine? Is it related to DSC Tag Servers? We'll need a little more information on the Tag Engine since this might be from a 3rd party.  

Huntington W
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

***Don't forget to give Kudos and Accepted as Solution where it is deserved***
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,503 Views)

The project was originally developed in LabView 7.1.  You are correct that the shared variables are related to the DSC Tag Server and not a third party software.

Thank you for the help,

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,466 Views)

@I_3_LV wrote:

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for your help.  I am updating a project that originally was developed in an earlier version of labview that used the Tag Engine.  I am manually going through the code and finding these links to the Tags and replacing them with shared variables.  I've run into a few issues and would love to have some feedback.

First one, the Tag Engine grouped tags by name, so for example, some tags were under R1, others under R2, etc.  The tag function had one that was called "Get Tag List" that functioned by making a list of the tags in a particular group.  I've tried to find an equivalent function for shared variables but have come up short.  First question, am I missing a shared variable function that is equivalent?

Second, in an effort to start this process, I created a few libraries of shared variables named R1, R2, etc. equivalent to the tag groups and dragged my shared variables from my original library into the new libraries.  Now, some of the shared variables that I dragged have an error.  It says the shared variable is "broken."  I'm not sure how to fix it.  I tried deleting the shared variable and dragging it back onto the vi, but that did nothing.

I'm sure there will be more questions, but these are my main ones now.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Matt

Hi Matt, I'm assuming you are/have been using the DSC module. If not, ignore the rest.

Have you tried this: Tools >> DSC Module >> Migrate >> Configuration.

That is if you have a .scf file in your project?

Br,

/Roger

Message 4 of 5
(2,458 Views)

@The_Hunt wrote:

Hi Matt, 

What version of LabVIEW was your project originally developed in? Also, where did you download or acquire the Tag Engine? Is it related to DSC Tag Servers? We'll need a little more information on the Tag Engine since this might be from a 3rd party.  

See here.

"Get Published Tag Names.vi" may help.

Also please note that Datasocket fnctions can be used to access SV data and since they will accept an URL they are very handy for programic redirection of tags.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 5
(2,446 Views)