From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating drop down menu, the menu will be updated based on values in an input array

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to make a drop down menu that will display a list of values. The menu will be updated based on the parameters of another array. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,976 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mikeg_93

Im not totally sure what youre trying to do, but i believe one option is an enum and you can update the values using property nodes.

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,922 Views)

Not an enum which has all of its items defined during edit time because the strings are compiled into the definition of the control.

You want either a menu ring or a text ring.  There you use property nodes to define the strings and values programmatically during the operation of the VI.

Message 3 of 5
(2,914 Views)

Thanks for the correction ravensfan. After posting that I did question if that was right. I should've checked up on it. 

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,911 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mikeg_93

If you are referring to a shortcut menu, you can right click a control -> Advanced -> Runtime Shortcut Menu -> Edit...

Change it to a custom menu and save it to the control.  And then in an event structure, you can create a filter event (the ones with the question mark) for "Shortcut Menu Activation?" (note the question mark).

And then within that event, you will get a reference to the menu, which you can use to update the values and tags before the menu is displayed to the user.

Example_VI_BD.png

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Message 5 of 5
(2,892 Views)