LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated to LV2012 (from 2010), now the program always asks for "vi.lib/utility/....vi"

I had my programs compiled in LV 2010, which calls some 3rd party vis (written in 8.2 or older).  I had Vision and Daqmx modules too, and it worked fine before I upgraded to LV 2012 online.  I mannually uninstalled LV 2010 and several 2010 modules that I seldom used. Anyway, now when I started the core vi, it always tried to look for a whole bunch of stuff, including simple error handler.vi, and several ctl files under this location "vi.lib/utility".  I don't even have this sub-folder in my LV 2012 folder\vi.lib.

Searched around but did not find a specific answer for this question, can anyone help?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,192 Views)

@Procter wrote:

... under this location "vi.lib/utility".  I don't even have this sub-folder in my LV 2012 folder\vi.lib.

The utility folder in vi.lib should be there. If it is missing, your installation is probably corrupt. Have you tried to repair the installation?

@Procter wrote:

I mannually uninstalled LV 2010 and several 2010 modules that I seldom used. 

What is your definition of "manually"? Did you use the uninstaller of did you just delete a bunch of folders or files?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,188 Views)

I used the uninstaller of coz.

Everytime, LV updates, it always install the core program in a seperate folder (ie. Labview 2012) while the LV2010 is still in the system. I'd actually want the software to update on top of the old version, otherwise, this program is getting bigger and bigger.

Also, it did not automatically detect what modules I installed and updated them, so when I use the uninstaller/installer, I saw a lot of duplicate modules listed from different versions of labview.  That's why I tried to get rid of those old versions to save some space.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,178 Views)

@Procter wrote:

I'd actually want the software to update on top of the old version, otherwise, this program is getting bigger and bigger.

I don't understand if your are just commenting or if you actually tried to install 2012 on top of the existing 2010 folder by manually selecting a different location.

I don't see how it can get bigger and bigger if you uninstall old versions.

Procter wrote:

Also, it did not automatically detect what modules I installed and updated them, so when I use the uninstaller/installer, I saw a lot of duplicate modules listed from different versions of labview.  That's why I tried to get rid of those old versions to save some space.

They are not duplicates if they are from a different versions. Did you install 2012 versions of all your modules?

Do you have disk space problems?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,171 Views)

I was just commenting that I would like the labview to upgrade on top of the old version, saving me the trouble of having to uninstall previous versions by myself.

I'll try to repair the 2012 installation to see how it goes.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,150 Views)

@Procter wrote:

I was just commenting that I would like the labview to upgrade on top of the old version, saving me the trouble of having to uninstall previous versions by myself.

That is not a good option, because many developers need to support multiple versions. Most poeple I know have several version installed.

In the era of TB harddisks, disk space is typically no longer a problem.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,144 Views)

Problem solved by uninstalling the upgraded LV 2012, and a fresh re-installation of it from the DVDs.   Apparently the upgrade I did was not a complete one (hence the missing of several files and error, also the repair did not fix the problem at all).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,113 Views)