From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode - again! 不 is showing up as 上, but only if read from a file!

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, LabVIEWers:

If you've been following some of my posts here (I have no idea why you would, but just in case), you know that a project I am working on is a translation of things from English to unicode.  It's been working fabulous so far, except for one thing.

It seems that 不 is consistently showing up as 上 in any text box, caption, etc, etc, but only if I read it from a text file!  It doesn't matter what position it's in, and I tried saving it in notepad (unicode option), notepad ++ (encode in UCS-2 little-endian) and Word (other encoding - Unicode) but it doesn't make a difference.  And when I copy the wrong character and paste it, it really IS the wrong character, like it magically got transformed.

If I paste the right character into a any kind of text box, it works fine.  Furthermore, I can wire that text box to anything that accepts a string and it shows up correctly there, too.

Here's ther weird thing:

As far as I can tell, that's the only character I am having trouble with!!!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Oops, LV 2009 SP1.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,754 Views)

The ugly workaround I installed was to do a simple substitution, but obviously that won't work if the text is SUPPOSED to be 上!

The other workaround was to eliminate the 不 from the text file and and insert the 不 where it belongs in the code.

Each way has its pros and cons.  Any comments?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,740 Views)

I see that 上 sits on bit 10 and 不 at 13 on the same word.  Do you think they accidentally both got mapped to 10 by whoever coded the unicode support?  You know, cut and paste '10' for mappings '10' - '15' and then forgot to change one of them?

Or do you think it's silly to assume that someone did it by hand?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,724 Views)

oops

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,714 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author billko

It was a case of "stupid me."  Disabling "Convert EOL" on the read from text file makes it work fine.  I got to this point by remembering about disabling termination characters when dealing with binary data.  That triggered the thought that the same kind of thing could be happening here.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,703 Views)

billko,

This is off topic but, how to you deal with the Run-Time Menu for unicode?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,700 Views)

@J-M wrote:

billko,

This is off topic but, how to you deal with the Run-Time Menu for unicode?

Tell you the truth, I haven't gotten that far yet!  If I find a solution, I'll let you know.  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,695 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author billko

Dec 10 is linefeed and dec 13 is carriage return. Are you sure you disabled Convert EOL on the read file function? I'm not sure how you read in the Unicode strings but if you use Read Text File there is a right popup option to have LabVIEW do some automatic translation. Does Read File deal with Unicode or are you doing something yourself there? Either it does not and then of course does ASCI replacement or if it does the code for Convert EOL does not correctly treat Unicode characters.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 8 of 10
(2,692 Views)

The author of the LabVIEW Unicode Programming Tools should update his code - he didn't catch it, either!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,691 Views)

You are absolutely correct.  I shoudl've recognized that.  Fortunately I had other experiences which led me to the same conclusion after having gone down a different path.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,686 Views)