cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to view field point properties

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me why I could not open the field point properties in order for me to configure my modulesI am still operating on LabView 7.1 and I have used 3 express VI's. They were working before and all of a sudden, they're not. I tried opening and closing (even rebooting the computer) and still not able to open the VI properties for those 3 VI's. What's weird is that all other programs that were made before this one, they are all having the same problem as well. Pls. let me know if anyone knows anything. Attached is an image of the problem I'm getting.

Thanks,

Marcos

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,463 Views)

Hi Marcos,

Good Morning and I hope your well today.

Thanks for the post.

So you see this error when you click on one of the Field Point Express VIs?

If so, these VIs interface with the Field Point using the NI-Field Point driver. Have you got this installed, and if so what version? I would suggest updating the driver if at all possible. The download link is here,

Drivers and Updates

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/fn/p/sb/navsRel/lang/en?q=Field+Point&x=0&y=0

And I believe the latest driver 6.0.3/6.0.4 supports LV RT 7.1.

Make sure when you install the driver, you include support for LabVIEW 7.1. 

Within LabVIEW 7.1 are the express VIs available on the palette? If so, do they also generate the error when you place them on the block diagram?

You say it used to work, have you since installed a newer version of LabVIEW? or updated the driver already? Without including support for LabVIEW 7.1?

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
Message 2 of 4
(2,439 Views)
Solution
Accepted by macolit

Hi James,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I do have NI-Field Point Driver installed and I believe its V5.0. I will do the upgrade today.

All express VI's were available on the palette and it does make the same error every time I place it on the block diagram.

I mentioned that it was working before because I was already using the whole program and everything was running well.  All of a sudden I was not getting anymore data through Filed Point. I thought it was the FP Module, but it came out that the Express VI's were not reading/writing anymore. The whole installation was done about a week ago and nothing more was added after that.

Is that another bug in V7.1?

Anyway, we were a little short for time and we fixed the problem by un Field Point and reinstalling it again. I hope it does not happen again with the upgrade.

Thanks again and I hope there is a better solution than what I did. I would welcome any input on this issue.

Regards,

Marcos

PS: Relatively new to this site, how do you do Kudos?

Kudos to James for helping out.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,433 Views)

Hi There,

Thanks for your prompt reply. 

I have done some research and I cant find a bug related to expressVIs just breaking... is this what your saying?

Are you sure that nothing is being installed or updated... everytime you install a new labview or component, it is likely the driver will have to be re-installed. The install process is as follows, Development Environment, Modules, Toolkits, Drivers, Hardware. 

Are you using the latest version of the FP Driver?

I would also suggest improving your code by moving from the Express VIs into the lower-level API, have you considered this? You will gain performance advantages if you do so. 

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,416 Views)