From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to rename or delete VI file

Solved!
Go to solution

I dont use SCC as the company has only licence for Full Development System.

Also we are only two people working on LV software and till date we have managed to have a a reasonably good documented change note file for every project. Maybe it takes time but still we carry on. We have even successfully did changes to software delivered 9 years back. So I guess the method we follow is ok for our kind of size. Delivering software is not my company's core buisness - its a value addition we do for some projects.

Going by what transpired till now, we seem to agree that there is no need to move or rename a file outside the project environs. I fully agree to this and would be stupid to do it anyway - but then there are times when I simply dont want to see the project folder on my desktop and would like to delete it. And that is where my woes start.

If there are any specific pointers to this as to why LV does not allow me to do so even when its not "visibly" running was my original question.

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(734 Views)

Ignore

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(715 Views)
Solution
Accepted by MogaRaghu

OK I have found out the secret to be able to rename a VI even after closing the LV2012 application.

Just Refresh the desktop after the LV2012 app shuts down and you can now do whatever you want to do with that VI.

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
Message 13 of 15
(682 Views)

Windows is weird like that.  I know that sometimes you have to do that with a folder in order to modify it or anything in it, and the desktop is just another folder so I guess the same thing applies.  (Shrug)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(664 Views)

@billko wrote:

Windows is weird like that.  I know that sometimes you have to do that with a folder in order to modify it or anything in it, and the desktop is just another folder so I guess the same thing applies.  (Shrug)

Usually such a lock releases 5-10 secs after the program is closed for me, i guess it's a optimization from MS to not check file locks all too often.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(647 Views)