From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to insert cluster in to array element

If it is your first day or 10 years of experience, don't for get to read the manual, in this case the help.

Another debugging feature that helps me is to probe inputs and outputs of a function as it runs.  If you probed the output of the initialize function I'm sure it would be clear what it is doing, and maybe that would prompt you to try to better understand how it works.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 32
(1,192 Views)

Being able to wire the number of dimensions as an input would not make sense, because the resulting wire would be different, depending on the value. You cannot change the number of dimensions at run time.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 32
(1,188 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

You cannot change the number of dimensions at run time.

Well if you are new to LabVIEW this probably isn't something you realize, or even why this wouldn't be possible.  

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 32
(1,183 Views)

Back then, when I was unsure of something, I would read the help files.  And if I still wasn't sure, I'd open up a blank VI, drop in some functions and play with them.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 32
(1,174 Views)
Well I did read up and play around for a short while, but when I have a job to do and time constraints and there is a forum purpose build to ask other users for help, I'm going to utilise that resource. Get off your high horse
Labview 14.0, Labview 12.0
CLAD
Mechanical Engineering Student
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 32
(1,169 Views)

I'll leave you alone now since you just seem to be angry.  You're the first person I've come across in 10 years who didn't understand how that function worked so then complained about the wording.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 32
(1,167 Views)
It's a valid criticism I think. The wording could be clearer that should be the end of the discussion. It was carried on by you and another guy. If you want to sit there trying to make me feel stupid when you've had 10 years experience to my 3 months, I'm going to call you out on it.
You're rather unpleasant. Go away.
Labview 14.0, Labview 12.0
CLAD
Mechanical Engineering Student
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 32
(1,158 Views)

We are all too familiar with not having time to get our job done, we are pretty much all volunteers who take time out of our day to help out here.

And what was that quote by Lincoln  "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."  

If we would like to sharpen your axe, feel free to checkout some of these free training links on LabVIEW.  I see you already have your CLAD so most of it probably going to be review but I'm sure there is some new information in it.

NI Learning Center

NI Getting Started

-Hardware Basics

-MyRIO Project Essentials Guide (lots of good simple circuits with links to youtube demonstrations)

-LabVEW Basics

-DAQ Application Tutorials

-cRIO Developer's Guide

Learn NI Training Resource Videos

6 Hour LabVIEW Introduction
Self Paced training for students
Self Paced training beginner to advanced, SSP Required

No one is trying to make you feel dumb or stupid.  We were all beginners at some point.  We just would rather you have the tools to troubleshoot and fix an issue like this in the future, and certainly researching a topic or function would help with this.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 32
(1,156 Views)

I'm not trying to make you feel stupid.

I just think it is irritating when someone doesn't understand something, then whines about how they didn't understand a couple English words, rather than doing the things they need to to learn.  So I'm calling you out on that.  You do say you are a "student", so you should try to learn rather than complain.

I'm sure any of us you find "unpleasant' are going to be here far longer than you will be, so don't bother telling us to go away.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 32
(1,150 Views)

Okay you both got a couple of jabs in but that's not what we're about.  Remember we all have bad days (myself included), lets try to not take it out on each other.

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 32
(1,146 Views)