LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to display the front panel of the VI

This is still an open CAR with R&D, so far they have been unable to reproduce this issue. When you say you are experiencing this relatively frequently, can you give me a more specific idea of how often this occurs?

A few other questions, how big is your project and what operating system are you running?

It would be helpful if someone could post a project where this issue occurs to help R&D recreate the issue. Although I understand the difficulty in doing this due to the size of the projects involved and proprietary concerns.

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 72
(777 Views)

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, and I'd say not a huge project, but maybe like a project with one library that contains 4 classes, and each class isn't huge. In one week, it happened 3 or 4 times. I haven't noticed exactly what causes the problem, but I feel like it has something to do with closing the project while VIs are opened.

It seems pretty sporadic. Can't really give you a project or situation to recreate it because I don't think it really has anything to do with a specific project and I haven't noticed an action that causes it.

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 72
(772 Views)

I have a very small project that just started exhibiting the "Unable to display the front panel of the VI.  The VI's front panel may have been removed." error.  Nothing weird happened upon saving, just the next time I opened I got this.  It also logged an error which I chose to send to NI.  Something about "DWarn" in the log file.

Using LV 2011.  If you need the project, let me know and I'll zip it and upload it -- seven small VIs and one .lvlib that has maybe one shared var in it.  That's it.

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 72
(744 Views)

Hi,

If you could attach that project I will try to recreate the issue. You say that you had a working project but now when you try to open it you get this "Unable to display the front panel of the VI." error? Is this sporadic as the other posters have described or are you no longer able to open the VI even if you restart LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 72
(728 Views)

From what I've seen once you get the "Unable to display the front panel of the VI" error, that VI will always get that error whenever you try to open it. The event that corrupts the VI seems to happen sporadically and for no reason inparticular.

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 72
(714 Views)

It happens all the time (starting from this morning) and it appears to be one VI.  I tried opening this VI outside the project, renaming the VI then opening it, removing it from the project then adding it back in, restarting LV and so forth -- nothing seems to work.

I'm attaching the "bad" VI now.  If you want the entire project I can do that, too.  Made with LV 2011.

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 72
(710 Views)

Here's some more stuff:  dump file, debug log and a screencap that made me sad.  Also, I'm using an Windows XP SP 3 system.  You'll need to unzip the dump file.

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 72
(698 Views)

One last item:  The last thing I did before I saved/closed the offending VI was to edit the icon and its connector pane.  I think I had just changed from the standard connector pane to one with more squares, like the one with 5 columns on the right-hand row then assigned all the I/O.

P.S:  For whatever reason, Ctrl + v doesn't work for pasting in the icon editor.  I know, off topic.

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 72
(683 Views)

Thank you for the files, I have added some notes to the CAR and R&D is looking into it. However because this issue is sporadic and difficult to recreate it will be difficult for R&D to resolve.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 72
(659 Views)

I'm having the same problem described here, but with a twist:  Restarting labview doesn't change anything.  When I try to open the VI from windows explorer, I get a "Generic Error" load error 3.  When I try to open it from the project explorer, I get the error telling me the VI's front panel may have been removed.

I've attached the VI in question. 

The last think I did before saving and closing the VI was to change the connector pattern, assign the connectors and change the icon.  When I tried to place this VI into my main program, the connectors were absent.

I created the same VI again (fortunately it was a very simple array modifier) with the same connector pattern and icon, and the new one works fine.

What gives?  I was lucky enough this time to avoid losing a complex VI.  What can I do to fix this problem if it happens to a VI that's not simple?

--

Ro ma wa ichi ni chi ni shi te na ra zu
0 Kudos
Message 50 of 72
(597 Views)