LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to RS-232 device communication problems

Hi i'm trying to operate a Uniblitz VMM-D3 shutter controller. It's connected to my computer via a RS-232 output on the device and going into my USB port. There are no drivers available for the controller so i used the VISA driver development wizard to create one. I can use Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) to get information from the device (such as model code etc) but i have no idea how to send commends (such as open shutter). I have a list of commands from the controller manual but when i try to enter them into a controlout commond i get a return error of 'xBFFF003E'.

Could someone please help. Ideally i just want to be able to control the open and close shutter commands via labview 8.6.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,763 Views)

Sorry, but that does not make any sense. If you have an RS-232 connection on the instrument, you should be connecting it to a a USB-RS232 converter on your pc and you would not use the driver development wizard at all. The driver wizard would just disable the driver that comes with a USB-RS232 converter and just about make it worthless. The USB-RS232 converter would come with a driver that makes it appear to the system as a com port and you would then just use VISA Writes and Read to communicate to the instrument. The commands would work the same as if you had an built-in com port. If you don't have a USB-RS232 converter, I don't quite understand how you are making the connection.

Once you have removed the files the wizard created and reinstalled the USB-RS232 driver, you should see a new com port in MAX. You could then use Hyperterminal to test the connection and then the serial examples that come with LabVIEW could be used.
Message 2 of 5
(3,757 Views)

Sorry if it doesn't make sense. I'm new to all this. The USB-RS232 converter is just a simple lead which didn't come with any driver. When i first plugged the controller into the computer windows vista did the usual check for device driver, which of course i have non for the controller or the converter. So i assumed that i need to create one using the wizard before i was able to use the VISA commands. If there is a driver for the USB-RS232 converter where would it be?

Thanks for your help btw.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,744 Views)

The drivers for the USB/RS-2332 adapters usually come on a disc with the adapter.

Try searching the web based on the brand name of the adapter.  You should be able to find the drivers on the manufacturer's website.

If you can't find it from there, I would suggest buying a new one.  I've been using several of these successfully.  http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productID=2066

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,721 Views)

There wasn't a CD in the package or instructions on where to download a driver? I don't understand how a company could sell a device without a driver. Contact the company or return the device and get one with support.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,720 Views)