LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB--> RS232 COM Ports not displaying in application under windows 10

I've developed a test platform using LV2014 that utilizes serial communication to talk to external devices under test.  It was developed on a machine with Windows 10 and worked fine.  Upon deploying it to another Windows 10 machine, we could not see any of the USB-RS232 COM ports on that machine.  The COM ports show up in Device Manager and they are usable with other software.  We installed the same application on another machine, this time a windows 7 OS, and everything worked fine, using the same USB-RS232 converters.

Any ideas why the Win10 machine doesn;t show any COM ports in the drop-down list box??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,573 Views)

Did you install VISA and NiMAX (Measurement and Automation eXplorer) on the target machine?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,561 Views)

I've had similar problems in not seeing the COM port in LabVIEW before that are sometimes solved simply by changing the COM port assignments in Device Manager. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,548 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Did you install VISA and NiMAX (Measurement and Automation eXplorer) on the target machine?

Does that not automatically install with the installer?  It did on the other PC I tested on (Win7) or maybe it didn't need it because it worked.  If not how can I include those in my installer package?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,540 Views)

@Mike1_team4004 wrote:

@RTSLVU wrote:

Does that not automatically install with the installer?  It did on the other PC I tested on (Win7) or maybe it didn't need it because it worked.  If not how can I include those in my installer package?

You are right, it should include them but.... Check your build spec and make sure they were auto-selected, it not manuall select them

inse.PNG

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,516 Views)

Any chance you can deploy a quick test to the machine in question to see if the needed ports show up using the "VISA Find resource" function instead of using the drop-down?

Instrument list.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,491 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

@Mike1_team4004 wrote:

@RTSLVU wrote:

You are right, it should include them but.... Check your build spec and make sure they were auto-selected, it not manuall select them

inse.PNG

Here are my choices for additional Installers... nothing remotely about NI-VISA etc.  even scrolling down and reading all the Descriptions.

NI Installers.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,435 Views)

I don't see NI-VISA Runtime or NI-Serial 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,430 Views)

Scroll down further in that dialog box.

Also, your dialog shows you are using LabVIEW 2014 SP1.  Windows 10 compatibility wasn't added until LabVIEW 2015.

Windows Version Compatibility with LabVIEW

NI-VISA and LabVIEW Version Compatibility for Windows

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,420 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Scroll down further in that dialog box.

Also, your dialog shows you are using LabVIEW 2014 SP1.  Windows 10 compatibility wasn't added until LabVIEW 2015.

Windows Version Compatibility with LabVIEW

NI-VISA and LabVIEW Version Compatibility for Windows

Scrolling down further does not show any NI-vISA references either

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,409 Views)