From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-ethernet under linux rt

Really?
This is NOT good news 😞
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(844 Views)

@BlueCheese wrote:
For reasons unknown to me, the x64 kernel used by the cRIO 903x and CVS 1459RT do not have USB Ethernet dongle support enabled, unlike the one used on ARM targets like the cRIO 9068 and myRIO.

Would it be a dangerous exercise to try and rebuild the kernel from the git repository with these modules enabled?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(836 Views)
Dangerous? I'd certainly hope not... 🙂

I've not personally tried our external instructions for rebuilding the kernels, but I know a lot of customers have done that with the 9068 successfully, and I think it has become even easier with the 2014 stacks. I do know that these should/do work if the support is added.

To the original poster, would you mind giving some more information regarding your specific use case for adding more Ethernet ports to the 1459? I'd like to dig into why the kernel configs differ between some of our Linux targets and would love to see more consistency here, but it also may help to better understand your use case. If I had to guess, the main reason the ARM targets had this support enabled is likely to support Ethernet on myRIO (which only has wifi and USB).

Eric
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(817 Views)

@BlueCheese wrote:
Dangerous? I'd certainly hope not... 🙂

I've not personally tried our external instructions for rebuilding the kernels, but I know a lot of customers have done that with the 9068 successfully, and I think it has become even easier with the 2014 stacks. I do know that these should/do work if the support is added.

To the original poster, would you mind giving some more information regarding your specific use case for adding more Ethernet ports to the 1459? I'd like to dig into why the kernel configs differ between some of our Linux targets and would love to see more consistency here, but it also may help to better understand your use case. If I had to guess, the main reason the ARM targets had this support enabled is likely to support Ethernet on myRIO (which only has wifi and USB).

Eric

Hi Eric,

first of all, I can confirm the my USB dongle works on my 9068 (I just tried it this morning, and it shows up in MAX without any problems) - thanks for pointing this out, it saved me quite a few hours.

The reason I need more ethernet ports - well, I was using the CVS-1457rt, but during development of the project, it was clear that I needed more computing power, which the CVS-1459rt provides - unfortunately I am not able to use a USB3 camera, and since the CVS-1459rt only has one ethernet port, I need to add one somehow.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(814 Views)

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the sharing.

Have you ever tried that if Realtek chips have been supported in recent NI Linux RT? 

I am looking for suitable USB-Ethernet adapter that can be supported in the cRIO-903x x64 kernel. Do I have to look for the dongle manufactured with ASIX chip?

Best Regards,

Ting

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(313 Views)