From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB drive disconnect

Hi

This is the situation. I run a LabView program that reads in PT 100 elements and controls 1 DAQ card. I also like to communicate in the same programme with a different device over a USB cable. The communication with this device is established by calling a dll file in the system 32 file. Everything works correct for 1 minutes and than it closes all the communication the all the USB ports, also the one that is connected with the DAQ card. If I pull out and connect the USB to the device again everything works again except the DAQ card.

Is there someone who can help me with this?

Thanks for the effort

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 49
(4,118 Views)

Sounds like something could be happening with the refernces to your USB ports. Have you tried isolating the issue to a particular part of your code? Specifically, the dll calls? I.E. If you remove or diagram disable all code having to do with the dll and call library function nodes, then does this behavior still occur?

--Ryan S.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 49
(4,080 Views)

Hi Ryan

Thanks for the answer. I made a VI just like the one in the main vi I have to test the communication with the device. Here the USB port also stops communicating. So it gives the same result. 

It must go wrong somewhere in the while loop. It is working OK for a few seconds and than just stops.

In attachment is the Vi. Do you see something wrong with it?

I also attached the main program where I do almost the same

@sparkysquared wrote:

Sounds like something could be happening with the refernces to your USB ports. Have you tried isolating the issue to a particular part of your code? Specifically, the dll calls? I.E. If you remove or diagram disable all code having to do with the dll and call library function nodes, then does this behavior still occur?

--Ryan S.

Thanks for the help and the effort

Greets

Vincent

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 49
(4,060 Views)

Hello Vincent,

Can you give some more information about the DAQ device and the DLL/Driver you're using?

Thanks!

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 49
(4,033 Views)

Hi ThiCop

Thanks for the answer and the effort!!!!

It is a NI-DAQmx who is generating 2 times a -10 to 10 V signal to 2 valves who controls temperature and flow in the process. The other device is a Testotherm 330 to measure exhaust gases from boilers. These drivers and all the dll files are delivered by testotherm itself. If I install the USB driver and install the DLL files and use the online reader that is supplied by Thestotherm everything works good. When I run it in LabView it breaks the communication after a few seconds. 

Thanks for helping me solve this problem. Really appreciate the effort.

Greets

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 49
(4,009 Views)

Hello Vincent,

From where did you download the drivers?

Are these licensed or freely available?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Senior R&D Engineer (Former Support Engineer) - National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 49
(3,983 Views)

Hi ThiCop

The driver is free available on the website of Testotherm. You find them under the testo 330 downloads

http://www.testo-international.com/online/abaxx-?$part=PORTAL.INT.Applications&$event=show-from-menu...

The dll files I received from the German helpdesk. I can share these with you over dropbox if you like?

The driver is working correctly if I use the onlinereader that is provided by Testo. But when connected to LabView it works only for a short time. To call the correct functions in the dll file I just used the VAB code they use when you log all the measured data in an excel sheet.

Hope this is a littlebit clear.

Thanks again for thinking with me!!!

Greets

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 49
(3,977 Views)

Hello Vincent,

Just to be 100% sure.

The "helpdesk" you're talking about is the Testo helpdesk, right?

Kind Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 49
(3,975 Views)

Hi ThiCop

Indeed the Testo helpdesk.

In attachment is the excel we used to build up the LabView program.

Thanks!!!!

I hope we find the solution!!!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 49
(3,951 Views)

Hello Vincent,

Did they give you any "guidelines" on how they expect you to call the functions?

Do you have any extended documentation on the DLL itself and how they expect you to call it?

I must admit that it has been a while since I've used Excel macro's.

At first glance I think most issues would be caused through the implementation of the timer.

Can you share the latest version of your code (that contains all needed subVI's)?

This way I can start from that.

Kind Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 49
(3,924 Views)