LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB devices are changing address afte reboot?

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed USB devices changing their adresses after re-boots.

I had one customer that was using two USB DAQ devices and had repeated problems with starting his application until after I added some code that queried the devices and assigned device ID's as indicated by their type.

I just got off of the phone with another customer who had a similar problem with a USB to serial device showing up as a different device.

So....

1) Has anyone else seen issue of this type?

2) Any ideas or suggestions to make sure the address swapping does not happen?

Thank you!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,570 Views)

If you plug a USB device into a different USB port, the system recognizes it as a new device. This applies to USB hubs as well, and can be confusing if the device is plugged into the same port in the hub, but the hub itself is connected to a different port in the PC.

I have not seen any changes either in NI USB DAQ products or in USB to serial adapters if they're always plugged into the same port. If they are plugged into the same port, then I would expect that the ports are reenumerated in a different order for some reason, but that sounds weird.

Thanks tst.

"... but that sounds weird."

I agree. The customer with two NI USB DAQ devices insisted that the devices were not moved around. He claimed to only do a re-boot. He stoped having problems after I coded up my work-around.

Anyone else seen anything similar?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,552 Views)
I've actually just seen something on Info-LV from the last couple of days where someone else also refered to having a similar problem, so you can try searching the archive for "USB" from the last couple of days.

Thank you once again tst!

I found the thread "

DAQmx 8.3 & USB6008?"

And that sounds like a similar issue.

So I am not the only one seeing this issue.

Anyone else?

Any other idea (aside from forming a club Smiley Tongue )?

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,534 Views)

I still concider this Q on resolved!

Could an AE please investigate?

Thank you,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,499 Views)

Greetings Ben,

The way the devices will behave when plugged in or when the computer restarts will depend on which driver is being used.

DAQmx Base:  DAQmx Base has no memory of previous devices.  Devices will be named dev1, dev2, dev3 as they are enumerated.  The first detected device will become dev1.  For this reason it is possible for the devices to "trade" their names.  

Scenario:
1) Begin with two USB devices.  Use LSDAQ to note the serial numbers of the devices corresponding to dev1 and dev2.
2) Remove dev1. Note that dev2 now becomes dev1.
3) Re-connect the original dev1.  It will now be named dev2 and you have essentially "traded" your device names.

DAQmx:  DAQmx will associate a serial number with a device.  For this reason, the devices should never trade names unless MAX loses association.  This can occur for example if the device is deleted from MAX.

Scenario:
1) Connect one USB device and note the associated name in MAX.
2) Remove the device and note the red "X" in MAX showing the device is not present.
3) Connect a new USB device (different serial number).  The new device will show up under a new device name (dev#, where # is the first unused positive integer) and the orignal device will remain with the X.  If reconnected, the orignal device will assume the old name and the X will disappear.

Have you been experiencing something which differs from the above scenarios?

Regards,

Jennifer O.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Message 7 of 8
(3,467 Views)

Thank you Jennifer!

Yes one of the widgets I was using required DAQmx base.

So with the info you have provided, I at least have a story to go with the problem.

This is a "gotcha" that I never heard before now.

Thank you!

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,460 Views)