From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB GPS Control

I was able to find the VI I needed already on my computer, it just wasn't where it was listed in the VI provided. I have managed to find a software tool from Garmin that will convert (switch modes) from the Garmin output to the NMEA output. One I run this I think I can run the VI then. However, what do I need to do to get LV to recognize the GPS unit? I'm not familiar with the VISA function and will have to do anything special or is it a plug and go situation?

Thanks again for your help.
Using Labview 7.0 and 2010 SP1 with Windows XP and 7.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 32
(4,385 Views)
Are you using this with your serial GPS device, or your USB GPS device? If this is your serial GPS device the only thing you need to tell VISA which serial port your GPS device is connected to. To do this you will specify "ASRL1::INSTR" as the VISA Resource Name. This assumes your device is connected to COM1, if it is connected to a different port you only need to change the number (ASRL2::INSTR).

Shawn B.
National Instruments
Use NI products on Linux? Come join the NI Linux Users Community
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 32
(4,370 Views)
It would be with the USB GPS device. I wasn't sur eif it would still work, or if there would be a way to still use that VI with the USB device. I thought I read that the USB device would be read as a virtual serial device and thus could be used as a normal serial device. But like I said, I'm not too familiar with any of that, and I seem to finding a lot of information form various sources so I'm trying to get a straight answer.

Thanks...
Using Labview 7.0 and 2010 SP1 with Windows XP and 7.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 32
(4,371 Views)
It is possible that your device shows up as a virtual serial port. You could check this by plugging in your device, and checking for new serial ports in the Windows Device Manager. If your USB device does show up as a serial port in the Windows device manager, then you would just treat it like I described previously.

If you device does not show up as a serial port then you would have to develop your own USB driver for your device. This would not be easy, and may not be possible at all depending on how much you know about your device. This tutorial explains how to communicate with a USB device in VISA.

Shawn B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 32
(4,361 Views)
Hi I'm trying to use the consumebefore.vi for my program.Do you know where can I find it on my PC? Or could u post it on this forum?

Thanks alot

From Donny
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 32
(4,347 Views)
It should be located inside IIOA.llb, which is installed with the Instrument I/O Assistant. If you do not have this installed you can install it from the Drivers CD that came with LabVIEW or download it from the link I posted earlier.

Shawn B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 32
(4,332 Views)
Hello,

I am also a newby to Labview. I have a Garmin Etrex Legend C with a USB interface to which I would like to communicate.
Ia have made a *.inf file for the device, and it is added to my Max device list.(manufacturer=0X091E
-How could I use the original driver?
-How can I test the communication now?
I have found the following document about the interface specification, from Garmin, but I can`t extract any useful information for my project from it. "http://www.garmin.com/support/commProtocol.html"
-Am I wrong about that?
Until now I have made a VI as in the attachement (LV7.0) Here I get a time-out error when reading from the device.
Has anybody a clue for me?

Help from enthusiasts wanted..

Regards,
Ferry
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 32
(4,281 Views)
Hi Everyone,

So, I dont know if I am the only one, but I am still having problems with ConsumeBefore.VI. I have installed the IIOA 1.0.1 version from the link indicated. However, after installing, I cannot find IIOA.lib on my hard drive. Nor is ConsumeBefore anywhere to be found. Help Anyone?

Larry C
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 32
(4,235 Views)
Hi Larry,

If you installed the Instrument I/O Assistant from here, then IIOA.lib can be found in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.x\vi.lib\InstrIOAsst\IIOA.lib (Replace 7.x with your version of LabVIEW). ConsumeBefore.vi is located in this library file. Even if all components appear to have been installed, running the installer will install these examples. I hope this helps.

Good luck,
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 32
(4,211 Views)
Hi all,
 applologies for bumping an old topic but i seem to be having the same issue with not being able to find the consumebefore.vi after installing the Instrument I/O Assistant  and  i dont have the following folder..
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.x\vi.lib\InstrIOAsst\IIOA.lib

i do have C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\vi.lib\instr

i scanned my HD for consumebefore.vi but no luck finding anything..

anybody come across this issue?...can anyone host the missing consumebefore.vi file for me to grab?

cheers

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 32
(3,776 Views)