cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB CAM porject

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey guys,

there are a lot of topics concerning the use of LabVIEW for pic acquirement and processing. I have worked a while with LabVIEW and want to do the same now. I want to check a certain area and want to know, if a new object is placed, and if so, where it is placed.

I have a few questions for those who have been doing such projects recently.

1, Can you suggest a USB CAM for a price around 20$/€ (1 MP should be enough, resolution of the objects position should be 1-2mm, with a distance from ~5-50cm) --> correct me if my intuition is wrong

2, Is NI-IMAQ the same as the NI VISION toolbox? If not, what can you recommend for the test phase and later application phase?

3, Are there NI/Community tutorials dealing with this kind of application? (you dont have to search for me, just if you have one in mind)

kind regards

Slev1n

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,835 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Slev1n

@Slev1n wrote:

1, Can you suggest a USB CAM for a price around 20$/€ (1 MP should be enough, resolution of the objects position should be 1-2mm, with a distance from ~5-50cm) --> correct me if my intuition is wrong

Go on the Web and look for WebCams.  I use a Logitech WebCam (920? not sure, not certain of price or specs).

2, Is NI-IMAQ the same as the NI VISION toolbox? If not, what can you recommend for the test phase and later application phase?

Yes and No.  The NI Vision Toolbox gives you (many of) the software functions you need to process images.  If you want to Acquire images (say, from a Camera), you need the Image Drivers.  The USB drivers are in NI-IMAQdx (there are three sets of drivers, including NI-IMAQ and NI-IMAQdx).  This requires an additional license.

3, Are there NI/Community tutorials dealing with this kind of application? (you dont have to search for me, just if you have one in mind)

There's a Vision group in the Forums, though many questions get asked in the broader LabVIEW Forum, as well.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 5
(2,773 Views)

I am thinking about using the "Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000". Can I communicate with this camera via VISA by myself or do I need to have the NI-IMAQ(dx) installed, since communication needs some kind of sophisticated drivers?

I usually communicate with USB devices via VISA, though I think it is tough to get the necessary commands and syntax, if there is no proper documentation in the camera's datasheet...

Any advice?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,748 Views)

Do you value your time?  If so, the VAS drivers are a better option than VISA.  If not, have fun digging through the USB3 standard to determine how to interact with the camera.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,743 Views)

I think you might be right "natasftw". Why should I invent something which already exists..

The only problem I am facing right now is the fact, that I cannot install the device drivers (including IMAQ). After the installation my LabVIEW version isnt working anymore at all...but thats another topic...thanks for your help gusys

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,723 Views)