LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 6210 temperature control using thermocouple feedback

Thank you guys,

I am looking into your suggestions. 

Thanks Aaron for taking your time to modifying the program.

Things are working now, am just experimenting with the parameters and such.

Will surely ask if I have questions in this thread.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(2,137 Views)

I am also trying to drive a Peltier element using NI modules

I found no driver module that can drive mine, which eats 5V at a maximum of 1.25A.

Any idea of which module can do the trick, NI guys do not manage to find a proper one. Whichoutput module are you ousing to drive the Peltier ?

Álvaro

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(2,042 Views)
Like I said in this post

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&thread.id=105309

a conventionnal power supply will do the job.  I done a setup in the past with a power supply (0-3 Amp and  0-18 VDC) with an 0-10 VDC control (voltage or current), no possibility to switch the polarity.  I used a electromechanical relay for switching the polarity.  This setup was used for measuring thermoelectrical properties of a sample.  Because of the sample mass (a couple grams)and temperature(-40°C to 180°C in vacuum)  it was not possible to use only one set of pid .  It was easier to do small current increment to reach the setpoint.  If your heat exchange between the thermoelectrical module and the environment is well controlled it will be easy, with RTD for temperature measurement, to achieve +/- 0.2 °C.

Jean-Marc

Message 13 of 20
(2,028 Views)

Interesting ...

I am actually designing a system for the same kind of application: control the temperature of a sensor inside a vacuum thermal chamber.

However, I am not still sure of which is the best way to drive my HEATER (+/5V @ 1.25A). I thought about different solutions:

- PXI 4110 power supply module

- CRIO 9505 motion driver module

- General purpose AO + current amplifier

After your experience, which one would you recommend? My concern is minimizing the amount of external elements in the system.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,970 Views)

acanivell wrote:

Interesting ...

I am actually designing a system for the same kind of application: control the temperature of a sensor inside a vacuum thermal chamber.

However, I am not still sure of which is the best way to drive my HEATER (+/5V @ 1.25A). I thought about different solutions:

- PXI 4110 power supply module

- CRIO 9505 motion driver module

- General purpose AO + current amplifier

After your experience, which one would you recommend? My concern is minimizing the amount of external elements in the system.

I used a big HP power supply and an external relay to flip the polarity controlled via GPIB.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 15 of 20
(1,957 Views)

I use two FieldPoint DO channels, one to control a solid-state relay (using software-timed pulse-width modulation) for the power, and the other to set a mechanical relay to switch polarity for heat/cool.  Power comes from a standard brick power supply (12V at 6A in my case).

-- James 

Message 16 of 20
(1,947 Views)

Thanks for the ideas

drjdpowell : I can not though drive the Peltier on PWM, as it would interfere my system readings.

Ben : a HP supply would be nice, but way too big for my system, which is supposed to be portable

So I was just dreaming that I could use the 9505 to drive my heater, but I am not sure I can use he 9505 in DCand that the voltage is reversable.

Otherwise, I think I should go for an AO plus an voltage follower

Any more ideas, suggestions or whatever, very welcome!

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,934 Views)

Oh yeah, I guess a sensor on the peltier would rule out PWM.

There must be a way, though, as I also work with a sensitive CCD camera that uses Peltier cooling that is reasonably small and just runs on a small brick DC power supply.

-- James 

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,915 Views)

Hey,

Did you succeed eventually to control your thermocouple, I have the same set up and need help 

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,611 Views)

I finally did not implement the thing, as the project was cut down, but I think the way to go is:

- Voltage follower

- Voltage inverter

At the output of a digital output 

Hope it helps

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,576 Views)