LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3 Vision Camera on a Real-Time Target

I'm trying to use a USB 3 Vision camera with a desktop PC that has been turned into a LabView real-time target. The real-time target shows up correctly in NI-MAX, but when I connect the USB3 camera to a USB3 port on it, the camera doesn't appear under Devices and Interfaces.

Interestingly, the same camera shows up and works properly in NI-MAX if I connect it to the Windows PC with LabView on it, from where I access the desktop target, so it seems like the hardware works fine but LabView real-time is not able to handle it.

The Windows PC and the real-time PC have very similar specs, both have USB 3 ports on them. The real-time PC is a Dell Optiplex 9010, which is fully supported by LabView RT.

The Windows PC runs LabView 2013 and real-time PC runs "NI Real-Time Phar Lap ETS 13.1" according to NI-MAX.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,845 Views)

I've not tried doing Vision on an RT Target.  Have you installed the Drivers on the Target?  For USB Cameras, I'm pretty sure you'll need IMAQdx ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,839 Views)

Yes, all the drivers are installed, including IMAQdx.

Is it possible that USB 3 cameras are not supported on RT Targets so I'm attempting to do the impossible?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,819 Views)

Vagvolgyi,

What version of the Vision Acquisition Software are you using?

The “Configuring NI-IMAQdx for the LabVIEW Real-Time Module” section in the VAS README outlines how to configure a LabVIEW RT target for use with Vision Acquisition Software:

http://download.ni.com/support/softlib//vision/Vision%20Acquisition%20Software/September%202016/read...

Can you confirm that you’ve executed that same procedure on your end?

The following KnowledgeBase article lists all of our real-time controllers with USB3 Vision camera support:

USB3 Vision Cameras and NI Real-Time Targets Compatibility
http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/53462/en/

If you cross reference that with the following KB, you will notice that all supported targets have Linux RT or VxWorks Operating Systems:

What Operating System Is My Real-Time Controller Running and Why?
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/35F1FD98520D6E0E8625783A005AF557

I haven’t found anything that explicitly states that Pharlap isn’t supported, but I also haven’t found anything that states that it is officially supported.

You might get more input from other community members if you post on the Machine Vision forums.

Regards,

Kyle S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,791 Views)

So your main problem is that your DELL device does not recognize your attached USB port. To fix it perform following test steps:

• Click Start.
  • Right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the Hardware tab.
  • Click Device Manager.
  • Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers.
  • Look for any yellow exclamation marks.
  • When a yellow exclamation mark is showing, perform the troubleshoot process mentioned in Dell OptiPlex 9010 Manual. This would resolve your issue. 
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,650 Views)

@luupi wrote:

So your main problem is that your DELL device does not recognize your attached USB port. To fix it perform following test steps:

• Click Start.
  • Right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the Hardware tab.
  • Click Device Manager.
  • Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers.
  • Look for any yellow exclamation marks.
  • When a yellow exclamation mark is showing, perform the troubleshoot process mentioned in Dell OptiPlex 9010 Manual. This would resolve your issue. 

This wont resolve the issue as the computer is running NI (pharlap) ETS operating system.

My best guess is that it wont be supported. Probably best to call NI and ask.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,642 Views)

Thank you for all the replies.

NI Phone Support confirmed in the end that USB3 is NOT supported in the Phar Lap ETS OS.

Eventually I switched over to a GigE camera from USB3, and that solved the issue.

Message 7 of 8
(3,640 Views)

@vagvolgyi wrote:

Thank you for all the replies.

NI Phone Support confirmed in the end that USB3 is NOT supported in the Phar Lap ETS OS.

Eventually I switched over to a GigE camera from USB3, and that solved the issue.

Sorry, I didnt realise this thread was so old!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,636 Views)