LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UML tools best suited for Labview GOOP

I have the proposed the following questions to the NI support group. Given the Vast number of UML tools, is there a UML modeling tool best suited for LabView GOOP development given that most UML TOOLS out there convert UML diagrams down to text based implemtations such as C++, java etc?

Question to NI support:
------------------------
There are a few ni partners that develop GOOP tool kits to aid in implementing Object Oriented
software design methods in Labview.

I am asking you what UML tools would best suite Labview Developers to model their proposed
OO modular systems for implementation in LabView?

Also are there any initiatives within NI to develop an Object Oriented UML type tool that will
compliment the cur
rent development at NI to implement Object Oriented facilities in the LaBView
Language currently being worked on.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,902 Views)
Hi Edward,

You'll want to consider using ObjectVIEW, a product by Vogel Automatisierungstechnik GmbH. The following tutorial provides some more information:
G++ with ObjectVIEW: A New Concept of Advanced Object-Oriented LabVIEW Programming

Vogel Automatisierungstechnik GmbH's website also allows you download, although the page is in German.
http://www.vat.de/

Hope this helps!

Kileen C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,901 Views)
Hi Edward,

You are asking for UML modeling tools. Most UML tools are language independent, however some of the have support for autogenerating template code for text-based languages such as C++, Java etc.

However, I do think autogeneration of code is not always neccessary, you will get a far by just drawing and designing your application in an UML tool. If you use the Endevo GOOP Inheritance Toolkit, the only toolkit on the market that is a true object-oriented toolkit for LabVIEW supporting inheritance and virtual methods, you could for instance use Rational Rose or Microsoft Visio Professional.

I have used both tools together with Endevos GOOP Inheritance Toolkit and I must say that I like Visio best. It is easy to use and also have a lot of
other drawing facitilities other than UML. I think that it is a very reasonable price as well.

For more information about GOOP Inheritance Toolkit, please visit:
http://www.endevo.se/default.asp?lang=eng (and click on products). You will find whitepapers examples, downloads, presentations and demos. All UML diagrams in the presentations are made in either Rose or Visio.

Regards,
Mattias Ericsson
Endevo
Main developer of the GOOP Inheritance Toolkit
Message 3 of 6
(6,901 Views)
Hi Edward,

According to my knowledge NI is not planning UML support. Therefore any tool on the market is equally suitable for LabVIEW.

With the risk of advertising we will soon release a UML tool which will be simple from a UML perspective (all diagrams are not supported) but it will support forward/reverse engineering and code synchronization. Initially only to our GOOP though.

Thanks,
Jan Klasson
Endevo
www.endevo.com
Message 4 of 6
(6,877 Views)

Hi all, We have been successfully using a tool called Artisan.

It is extremely powereful, supports full UML (including Interfaces which I sure wish LabVIEW would support), maintains a consistent relationships, client/server or standalone versions available, can forward/reverse generate many text base languages, and all sorts of bells and whistles.

We use it to manage (create, evolve, and maintain) a number of very distinct systems that share a common framework by having a model for each system, a model for the common framework, and a rather simple process to share between the models.

Message 5 of 6
(5,139 Views)

StarUML and WhiteStarUML does a good job and there's a plugin that generates and interprets LV-code.

(If the WhiteStarUML isn't out yet i'll have to pull a couple of strings) 😉

Hmm, can you link to VIPM?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,706 Views)