LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ULx for labview

Hello,

I am trying to run the OMEGA USB 2401 DAQ in labview(Board configured in Instacal) to read thermocouples. I built a VI in labview using the Universal Library(ULx) and i know the DAQ (2401) is NOT compatible with Labview (Does not have an ULx for Labview from OMEGA).

Having said that, My issue isn't the comaptibilty (yet) but the errors generated while programming/deploying/running the VI. 

• I get "Dependency loaded from new path & .NET assembly changed" warnings when i start using the functions from the ULx for NI Labview library and when i deploy the  VI. 
  • Also, i get ERROR 10023 on the Error out nodes on the Analog Input (ULx Create channel.vi) and Analog DBL (ULx Read.vi).

I think it's a programming or ULx installation issue.  I would like to know why am i getting these warnings and the errors and how can these be fixed.

Also, If anyone can share their knowledge/experiences on these warnings and errors due to an incompatible daq. 

Any insight into this is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

RP. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(10,554 Views)

I'm confused when you say you have written a LabVIEW program to use this DAQ, but that it isn't compatible with LabVIEW. What do you mean it isn't compatible, that you don't have an appropriate driver to talk to it?  Error 10023 is undefined in LabVIEW, so I'm guessing this is from the ULx.  Right click on the error cluster's "code" and select "Explain Error" to see if it can tell you.   How are you using the ULx if the Omega USB-2401 isn't supported? It does look a lot like a Measurement Computing USB DAQ device, and they are the originators of the ULx library. As an aside, MCC was acquired by National Instruments in 2005, but has been run as a seperate entity, as far as I can tell, since then.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 2 of 10
(10,510 Views)

Hello Putnam, 

Thanks a lot for the reply.

By saying the DAQ is not compatible with labview, I mean there aren't any appropriate drivers to talk to it. MCC has drivers from OMEGA USB 2416 but i am using an OMEGA USB 2401 DAQ. The DAQs belong to the same series(24) but are different in terms of compatibility.

I have two picutres  attached below which show the bloack diagram and the error msg. 

In a nutshell, I am trying to prove 2 things.

1. If there is an error in the programming part. 

2. If the programming part is correct, do these errors mean an incompatible DAQ. 

If you can share some insight into these points, it would really be of great help. 

I appreciate your response. 

Thanks,

RP. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(10,495 Views)

In LabVIEW, error 1 means "an input parameter is invalid".  Whether the ULx driver assigns the same meaning and uses the same error codes as LabVIEW that error 1 means the same thing here, I don't know.  But it is at least a place to start looking.  I would start by looking at what are valid values to use for that Units control.

Another thing that is possible.  Before ULx, MCC had a driver library called Universal Library.  The relationship between Univ. Lib.  and ULx seemed comparable to NI's traditional DAQ vs. DAQmx.  Maybe your device would be supported by the older universal library and not by the newer ULx library.

Do you still get the other messages?  While Putnam said that error 10023 is not defined in LabVIEW, when I type it into Explain Error, I get

"Error -10023 occurred at an unidentified location

Possible reason(s):

NI-DAQ LV:  The write mode is out of range or is disallowed."

Again whether 10023 means the same thing to the ULx drivers as it does to LabVIEW, I don't knnow.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(10,469 Views)

What became of this? I'm trying to interface the same DAQ (OM-DAQ-USB-2401) with Labview. Can you do this with the ULx drivers?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(10,250 Views)

Hey Gubby, 

The last i know, there aren't any ULx drivers for the USB-2401 Chassis.  
But there are ULx drivers for OMB-DAQ-2416 (If that helps....). Smiley Happy 

Your best bet would be the proprietary software 'DAQ Central' which is available with the USB 2401 DAQ. 

Good Luck, 

RP.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(10,220 Views)

Dangit. I'm hoping not to have to purchase a new voltage measurement DAQ for this system. I wan't to use the voltage measurements from the 2401 as an input in Labview to control some solenoid valves with an NI controller. I sent and email to Omega to see if they had Labview driver for this unit. If not, I'm going to try building one with the VISA protocol, but I'd rather not go down that rabbit hole....

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(10,210 Views)

Which NI controller are you using?

Also, refer to This link for all drivers(and more) provided by OMEGA ENG. 

- RP. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(10,202 Views)

I'm using the NI 9472 to control the solenoid valves. The input variable I want to use to control the valve is a voltage measurement that is currently being relayed to the computer via the Omega 2401. I called Omega to ask directly if they have any Labview support for that DAQ and they said "NO". Thus, it seems like the options I have are to get a new DAQ that has Labview compatibility or try to put together a VISA driver for the 2401. The latter would most likely be time consuming and I'm not sure if I could even get anywhere with it (never done it before).

Decisions, decisions....

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(10,191 Views)

I dont know if you could do this with the ULx drivers but ther may be another alternative.  SInce the device can be accessed with drivers for .NET assemblies, you may be able to make a DLL containing variables for the values you are reading in from the device and call on this DLL in LabVIEW using a constructor node and property node to access the variable you are interested in.  Not sure if this will work though.  Take a look at this resource.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-16079

Cameron T
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(10,166 Views)