LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDP multicast listener cannot listen on ALL interfaces

I have 3 interfaces Wifi, Ethernet and VirtualBox Host-Only Network. Wifi is off. Others are on. Multicast traffic comes from Ethernet (Wireshark can't lie). My program opens connection without any errors, but UDP read always timed out.

To make LV read my traffic I need to stop program. Disable VirtualBox Host-Only Network. Than start program again. O, magic It works. Next time I will run program I must disable VBox Network. I guess it is a bug of LV...

Note that VBox and all virtual machines are not run.

Did anybody meet such problem?

Windows 10, LabVIEW 15.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,604 Views)

My question: Why a virtual network with no vritual boxes?

Maybe the issue is analogous to trying to write to a read-only file.  You can't.  So in order for LV not to try to listen and fail, just turn it off.  I'd be curious to see if it happens with other applications that listen the same way.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,581 Views)

We still have been metting the same problem on all windows-machines which have more than one interface. Really  I can see solution when to UDP connect.vi wired interface name (or array of interface names or their system numbers), and not IP address. Because IP addr could be (and sometimes they are) dynamically changed, when network is reconnected or when computer obtains new addr from DHCP-server.

We have tested few situations. Here is one of them:

1. PC has 2 network interfaces Ethernet and WiFi.

2. When our LabVIEW program started, it opens UDP connection and listens to multicast traffic on all interfaces (0.0.0.0). Works fine.

3. Until Ethernet interface disconnected, and then reconnected. That is done via Windows Control Panel. LabVIEW never gets an error, and will never restart to listen on Ethernet interface. That is problem.

4. But here is the bigger problem. Restart program. It opens connection and (vua-lya). Connection is opened on WiFi interface only without any errors and warnings. Many restarts will not help. But it will work if wire IP addr of Ethernet interface to UDP connect.vi

5. So what? Normal behaviour?!

@billko wrote:

My question: Why a virtual network with no vritual boxes?

This must not bother LabVIEW. Sometimes they works, sometimes stopped. LabVIEW must listen their interfaces always without any problems, or that problems must be able to be solved at run-time.

Other applications, for example simple reader-listener written in Python (25 lines) has no such problems.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,336 Views)

Hi,

Which VI are you talking about? Is it UDP Open? Also, which version of LabVIEW are you using?

Thanks,

T. Le
Vision Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,301 Views)
Yes. LV2015.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,232 Views)